Announcing: CMETO

Well here it is at last:

etocover4mu.th.jpg

This is what it looks like in the summer:

etosummer16bw.th.jpg

This is what it looks like in the winter:

etowinter1sr.th.jpg

Instructions for Installing CMETO:

1. Reinstall your CMAK game. When prompted for what directory to put your game in change

"Battlefront" to "BattlefrontETO" and "Combat Mission Afrika Korps" to "CMETO". You will be

prompted again for a destination change "CMAK" to "CMETO". Let the game install. You now

have another copy of CMAK on your computer called CMETO.

2. If you have heavily modded your CMAK game to include winterized tanks/vehicles/uniforms,

etc. You will now want to transfer your modded BMPs to CMETO. Go to your CMAK BMP file and

"Copy" the files you want then go to your

CMETO BMP file and paste them in.

3. Go to the CMETO "Scenarios" folder and delete all the scenarios (they are all North

Africa and Italy scenarios).

4. Go to the following Site: http://www.tspindler.de/cmak_mod/ and download the CM ETO Mod.

5. Download the CMETO zipped file to your downloads folder. Extract the zipped file directly into your CMETO BMP folder and answer "Yes to all". Note: The extracted zip may form it's own folder inside your CMETO BMP folder. If it does you will need to open that folder and copy all the BMPs and paste directly into your primary CMETO BMP folder and answer "Yes to all" when prompted.

6. On the same site you will find a CM ETO Uniforms file. If you need 1944 uniforms, both summer and winter, Allied and German this is where to get them. Follow the instructions given in "5" above.

7. On the same site you will find a CM ETO Scenarios file. This is 70 NWE Scenarios

from "The Scenarios Depot". Follow the instructions in 5 above, but extract into your

CMETO Scenarios File.

8. Make sure you are on version 1.03, download from BFC if you are unsure.

You are now done and have, in effect, a new game to play (sorry still no Tiger II's or

Cromwells).

Until such time as a real artist takes on this project you are stuck with with my clumsy cut

and paste technique. The concept for this Ubermod was TomTCMHQ's. Over a year ago he

announced that he was going to put out a "Combat Mission: Beyond the Seigfried Line", but

then he dissappeared. I hope I have done justice to his concept, and I hope he is OK where-ever he is.

None of the original artwork in this Ubermod is mine, I am simply a cut and paste hack.

I would like to thank the following true artists for their excellent work:

TomTCMHQ - Light Snow, Splash Screen, Tree Bases and Muddy Roads (which I modded

heavily by narrowing the "Gage" so that the vehicle wheel bases rest on the muddy tracks instead of between them).

Eichenbaum - Grass

Panzertruppen - NWE Buildings (some of which I modded)

Undaunted - High Res Skys

Junk2Drive - Wire fences (slightly modded)

AndrewTF - His incomparable Uniforms (some of which I modded)

All the scenario authors at "The Scenario Depot" - I did not make a single scenario - all the credit belongs to them.

I would like to thank Junk2Drive for his encouragement and sage advice, George Mc for

playtest and Torsten for setting up the Site.

I hope you enjoy this ETO look as much as I have,

DavidI

[ June 07, 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: David I ]

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pzman,

I was concerned about adding the scenarios. There are a number of authors, and I did not think I was violating any of the rules of "The Senario Depot". It took me about 2 hours to download and unzip them and I thought I would spare those seeking scenarios for ETO that time. I thank you for your support, and I hope the other designers agree. I will glady remove that convience from CMETO if necessary.

DavidI

Nope, didn't think he was, its not like he changed briefing or anything. That said, J2D I disagree about the scenarios being fair game once they are SD. If I found people taking my work (more so the maps) and doing stuff with them without permission and then giving that as a public offering, I might not be too happy about it.

Just so you know, I did Download the mod. :D

[ May 19, 2005, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Pzman ]

An added note:

I removed the Eidelwiesse (I am sure I just misspelled that) from the German Mountain troops. As far as I know no Mt. Divisions were deployed in NWE. They do make a fairly good substitue for VG SMG Platoons for those of you designing Scenarios with VG units in it.

DavidI

I downloaded it all am very pleased with the results. I even willingly overwrote my own mods to get the full effect! It's like a whole new CM game.

David I, I'm really appreciative of all your hard work. Remember, Thomas Edison used other people's expertise to help turn his dreams into reality too, so no talk of "cut & paste hack". This is a work of genius!

Originally posted by JonS:

Does anyone recall why the Scen Depot was set up in the first place?

So that people would be inclined to leave feedback for individual scenario designers, helping designers get better, and let other players know what the most popular scenario offerings were. Also allowed download stats to guide designers in their quest to make stuff the whole community could enjoy.

Seems to me this whole copyright issue has come up before vis a vis scenarios.

Am I close?

Seemed to me the last person to announce a great big "Scenario Pack" was soundly shouted down and sheepishly admitted he hadn't obtained permission - and when he did so, perhaps just under 50 percent of those asked declined him permission to rerelease their works, preferring to have individuals download them from the Depot. I was one of them.