Very Groggy question on a Butchery Plt TOE

Hans

Originally posted by Leopard_2:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dandelion:

[QB] The trailing n for plural address, as in an officer addressing the unit.

Drop the n for singular address.

Nope. It's one Soldatenschlachter, multiple Soldatenschlachter. One of the many cozy exceptions in German grammar. ;)

(Trust me, I'm a native German speaker. ;) ) </font>

Sorry, I never normally get into grammar debates. Not my forté. I didn't even mention when the Great Spell Checker and Grammar grog Grand Inquisitor spelled Fettuccine wrong.

To adress the issue of booze - no, there was no special Divisional equipment for making any (barring any such homemade by the men). Alcohol rations, which were supplied by Wehrkreis and thus produced by ordinary peacetime producers, were depressingly low in the German army. Regulation issue was 2cl a day, which of course was issued in concentrations, e.g. a bottle of wine every month (reputedly, that'd often be Liebfraumilch type wine, i.e. not very strong). And if you were 20 years old or younger, you'd get none at all. Nor any of the daily 7 cigarettes. But you'd get extra chocolate, and extra Dextro Energen. Chocolate, like cigarettes, was hard currency. So you could buy booze for it from the mates.

Compared to sausage, being issued at the rate of 120g a day, alcohol was sparse.

Of course, alcohol could also be bought at the... er, what you Anglosaxons call it, canteen no? You know, normally a company level store where you buy candy, cigarettes and alcohol. There were even adapted bottles with exactly the 1,07kg of wine you could fill a field-waterbottle with.

Horses were not considered food in Germanspeaking cultural regions, regardless of religion. One can presume they ate horses nonetheless in desperate circumstance. But most of all Germans soldiers ate potatoes and bread.

Actually, you know in order to make sausage, you really need quality ingredients, since you are working with parts of animals that very rapidly grow poisonous if not very fresh and well treated. I feel we should have a representative of the sausage industry here to prevent this defaming of intestinal food products.

Che-hick-erio

Dandelion

The actual army term was Marketenderei.

Kantine was used, and was the Umgangssprache word for Marketenderei at least among Southern Germans and Austrians. As the Marketenderei was called Kantine in the former Austrian army and Bavarian Landes units.

Nowadays it is Kantine only, as far as I know. Maybe it has a more democratic ring to it.

The company canteen was run by the Rechnungsführer and the Rechnungsführergehilfe. They had rifles. For service in the east and Balkans also issued with pistols. They were normally located at least 3000m rear of company frontline. As with all rear area troops of the company, they were property of the Spieß.

Come now Axe. Food is elementary in any debate on military history.

Cheerio

Dandelion