Very Groggy question on a Butchery Plt TOE

Hans

Schlächtereizug (a.k.a. Schlächtereikompanie but actually the same unit, interestingly) contained 1 officer, 1 Beamte (the veterinary), 42 other ranks and was equipped with 1 Pkw (car), 6 Lkw (trucks), 1 motorcycle solo and one with sidecar.

Combat equipment? Well, there was a sausage stuffing machine, a smokery, of course several mechanised butchery masks, cutting machines for the meat and even a separate spice truck. And so on.

Capacity was daily kill of 15 cattle or 240 sheep or 120 pigs, and they could produce up to 3000 kg sausage a day, beside the fresh meat delivered. A lot of focus on sausage because that's what they did with everything "else" on the beasts except the hooves, horns and eyes. It all ran on 10Kw machines. The normal work produced so much steam and smoke they often had to work at night to not get spotted from afar.

The men had rifles, the officer had a pistol, the vet was unarmed. Proper adressing of the men would be Soldatenschlachtern.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Hmm, we laugh today at civilian contractors going to Iraq, but I imagine there was a Beamten or two (you mention him being unarmed in the butcher platoon in 1940, I am willing to bet many armed themselves in Russia - even Padres did so there) that must have been terrified about serving on the Russian Front. It's interesting, and sad, how current events can give a whole new perspective on historical ones. As bad as these Iraqi terrorists are and have been portrayed in the news, to those same Beamten the stories about the Russians were probably much worse.

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Schlächtereizug (a.k.a. Schlächtereikompanie but actually the same unit, interestingly) contained 1 officer, 1 Beamte (the veterinary), 42 other ranks and was equipped with 1 Pkw (car), 6 Lkw (trucks), 1 motorcycle solo and one with sidecar.

Combat equipment? Well, there was a sausage stuffing machine, a smokery, of course several mechanised butchery masks, cutting machines for the meat and even a separate spice truck. And so on.

Capacity was daily kill of 15 cattle or 240 sheep or 120 pigs, and they could produce up to 3000 kg sausage a day, beside the fresh meat delivered. A lot of focus on sausage because that's what they did with everything "else" on the beasts except the hooves, horns and eyes. It all ran on 10Kw machines. The normal work produced so much steam and smoke they often had to work at night to not get spotted from afar.

The men had rifles, the officer had a pistol, the vet was unarmed. Proper adressing of the men would be Soldatenschlachtern.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Thanks Dandelion, yep the # of guys and vehicles is just what I needed!

You have to wonder how many times that unit got thrown into the fray when things got tough?

Well, sausage isn't a bad idea really (if I may say so as a German): if the quality of the "input" is low to begin with, you can't really tell from looks. Bad taste can be somewhat covered with spices. A sausage that has been lying in the dirt can be cleaned. Roasting is easily done.

And it would be "Soldatenschlachter" (no trailing "n"). ;)

The trailing n for plural address, as in an officer addressing the unit.

Drop the n for singular address.

The Vets did arm themselves in the East. Veterinärkompanie 45 deflected a Soviet attack on september 24th 1941 near Kiew. Stabsveterinär Dr Kirchmair was decorated for leading the defence. However, he and all of his vets were casualties, though not all fatal. But aside from such drastic instances, the bangs coming from a vet would hopefully have been confined to Donnerbalken.

Sausage is underrated. Except the Salami, it gets all the cred these days.

Cheerio

Dandelion

The butchertroops tended to wear these telltale bloodied protective covers, and judging from photos they appear to have worn the white fatigues mostly, so I think there's a good chance you'd spot them smile.gif

You think Andrew could make a uniform Mod for this? smile.gif

Originally posted by Sequoia:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dandelion:

The butchertroops tended to wear these telltale bloodied protective covers, and judging from photos they appear to have worn the white fatigues mostly, so I think there's a good chance you'd spot them smile.gif

You think Andrew could make a uniform Mod for this? smile.gif </font>

The trailing n for plural address, as in an officer addressing the unit.

The Vets did arm themselves in the East. Veterinärkompanie 45 deflected a Soviet attack on september 24th 1941 near Kiew. Stabsveterinär Dr Kirchmair was decorated for leading the defence. However, he and all of his vets were casualties, though not all fatal. But aside from such drastic instances, the bangs coming from a vet would hopefully have been confined to Donnerbalken.

Sausage is underrated. Except the Salami, it gets all the cred these days.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Well I'll see if I can restore the honor of the wurst making club

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sequoia:

You think Andrew could make a uniform Mod for this? smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by Leopard_2:

[QB] The trailing n for plural address, as in an officer addressing the unit.

Nope. It's one Soldatenschlachter, multiple Soldatenschlachter. One of the many cozy exceptions in German grammar. ;)

(Trust me, I'm a native German speaker. ;) ) </font>