**** ROW V ****

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Melnibone:

Excuse me

Oh will you excuse me

I'm just trying to find the bridge... Has anybody seen the bridge?

(Have you seen the bridge?)

I ain't seen the bridge!

(Where's that confounded bridge?)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

You mean Moltke bridge? Sometimes it's hard to see under all the bodies and burning tanks...

AAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Kingfish has put me in charge of collecting the AARs for ROW V.

What you need to know:

1. Send your AARs to me at acepilot88 at yahoo.com.

2. Include the following at the start of each AAR:

Scenario name: [Scenario]

[Allied/Axis] Player name: [Screen name of AAR author]

Opponent name: [Opponent's screen name]

Score: [AAR author score - opponent score]

Group [X]

Email: [AAR author email]

3. Use the following file naming convention for your AAR:

[Your screen name-opponent’s screen name-scenario]

Other details – I’ll get this information posted on the ROW V website soon. If anyone has any suggestions regarding AARs, please feel free to email me. I’ve been looking over some of the comments on the ROW IV AARs and trying to address those issues (such as making it easier to identify opposing AARs).

I played in ROW IV, so I know how daunting 5 AARs can be. It is made much easier by taking notes and screenshots as the game progresses. Most important, the designers very much appreciate the feedback. And I found it very entertaining being able to see how so many other players approached the same scenarios I had just played.

I have the following AARs already:

Malakovski-Maleme

Vadr-Maleme

Platehead-Wet

Sleekit-Wet

If you have completed an AAR and are not listed above, please email the AAR to me.

[ February 17, 2005, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Ace Pilot ]

When I tested this scenario I found that by dumping all the bodies piled up on the bridge into the river, you create two new bridges, one right and left of the original span. For most players this additional access is enough, and probably would stop there. However, I took it a step further and continued this process until the entire river was filled. This allowed me to assault the other side from multiple axis.

Don't forget to toss in a company or two of destroyed tanks to add a firm base to these new crossing points.

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

If anyone has any suggestions regarding AARs...

One suggestion: it would be nice to be able to read other players' AARs for battles we have finished before the end of the tourney. I finished Maleme this week and am not likely to remember much by June...

Originally posted by Kingfish:

When I tested this scenario I found that by dumping all the bodies piled up on the bridge into the river, you create two new bridges, one right and left of the original span. For most players this additional access is enough, and probably would stop there. However, I took it a step further and continued this process until the entire river was filled. This allowed me to assault the other side from multiple axis.

Don't forget to toss in a company or two of destroyed tanks to add a firm base to these new crossing points.

I am trying to skim my boys across...as if they were flat stones...problem is they keep sinking before reaching the far bank. Maybe I need to flatten them some more before skimming.

Originally posted by Malakovski:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

One suggestion: it would be nice to be able to read other players' AARs for battles we have finished before the end of the tourney. I finished Maleme this week and am not likely to remember much by June... </font>

Originally posted by Melnibone:

I am trying to skim my boys across...as if they were flat stones...problem is they keep sinking before reaching the far bank. Maybe I need to flatten them some more before skimming.

Try cramming a few into the muzzle of the 600mm mortars you get as T-10 reinforcements and launching them across the river. The barrel is big enough to accomodate a fireteam at a time.

If this doesn't work, send me the latest file and I'll edit the scenario so that your guys begin on the far bank. I'll even strip the other side of all their ammo.

Ina spirit of goodwill, and bearing in mind it is a long long time since I manually opened CMAK and then wnt and chose what file to open I thought I would do a little time and motion study on these archaic procedures.

I worked out it takes 30 secs until you are in the operating screen. Now with 5 games I suppose I am looking at a 200 turns total. So if I save a minimum of 50 minutes by using PBEMhelper I am doing quite well. I have not calculated send times the old way but from the AK end go increment screen it is 6 seconds to the e-mail being sent. I guess 10 seconds?

And of course it keeps track of all turns I am waiting on and files all old turns automatically. I mean come on guys why do so few use it?

Dear Mr. Fisher of Kings,

RE: Space Lobsters of Doom: Urban Renewal scenario of ROWV – Evil Bridge!

The current residents of the other side appear to be lacking in understanding their Chancellor is a bit rickety, about to leave them … for good. There is no reason for them to persist in there hostile and rancorous raucous. I have offered them a free rail pass to Northern Russia but they have answered with animosity and lots of hot lead.

I am currently attempting to ski across da Spree in my Higgins Landing Craft at night. I urgently request your assistance in finding the ‘power-up’, secret key / handshake in this endeavor. Uncle Joe promises to send you a case of Vodka and / or some fine Russian farm equipment / livestock (you choice) for your much appreciated hidden map clue to start the Higgins boats.

Your urgent reply is appreciated as my ski boat troops are itching to get the Higgins boat keys but till they do, my Vodka supplies are receding rapidly. I am afraid the boys may assault the wrong side of the river in their … grain-induced exuberance.

If I am not successful in crossing the stream, I may resort to, ‘living in a trailer down by the river’ and linger till they come out.

Sincerely,

Dawg of War

[ February 17, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Dawg Bonz ]

Originally posted by Dawg Bonz:

Dear Mr. Fisher of Kings,

RE: Space Lobsters of Doom: Urban Renewal scenario of ROWV – Evil Bridge!

The current residents of the other side appear to be lacking in understanding their Chancellor is a bit rickety, about to leave them … for good. There is no reason for them to persist in there hostile and rancorous raucous. I have offered them a free rail pass to Northern Russia but they have answered with animosity and lots of hot lead.

I am currently attempting to ski across da Spree in my Higgins Landing Craft at night. I urgently request your assistance in finding the ‘power-up’, secret key / handshake in this endeavor. Uncle Joe promises to send you a case of Vodka and / or some fine Russian farm equipment / livestock (you choice) for your much appreciated hidden map clue to start the Higgins boats.

Your urgent reply is appreciated as my ski boat troops are itching to get the Higgins boat keys but till they do, my Vodka supplies are receding rapidly. I am afraid the boys may assault the wrong side of the river in their … grain-induced exuberance.

If I am not successful in crossing the stream, I may resort to, ‘living in a trailer down by the river’ and linger till they come out.

Sincerely,

Dawg of War

Exactly what he said. Please, give us the cheat code or somefink.

I HATE THIS SCENARIO. . . Ok, had to get that out.

Originally posted by Malakovski:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

One suggestion: it would be nice to be able to read other players' AARs for battles we have finished before the end of the tourney. I finished Maleme this week and am not likely to remember much by June... </font>

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. In order to avoid any perception of favortism, I will not edit any AARs. I'd appreciate it if Vadr, Sleekit, and Malakovski could send me revised AARs with amended headers.

Sent

Hi, Ace I have just dropped in to see how things are progressing and I note the comment about releasing the AAR's before the end.

IMO I would not do this as players might complain about ideas on style and format being taken by other players. After all a player could say that is really neat I shall re-write my AAR using that approach and then you would end up with "style clones" and make judging far harder than it already is.

I know it is a pain in the butt that players have to wait sooooo long for the end but that is the downside to having soooo many players with different play rates.

Also you would not want any to slip out to players who are still playing the scenarios, hence you lock the AAR's down until the end.

I hope this helps

H

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

I mean come on guys why do so few use it?

I think the answer, at least in part, is because it's slighly daunting to set up.

If this is the reason, there's plenty of help available! I for one would be happy to help anyone set up PBEMH.

Of course another reason is that it's not available on the Mac. Not much we can do about that.

GaJ.