AMD XP 2700+ Currently - Upgrade to PC3200+ - Worth it or not?

As the thread title indicates, I currently have an AMD XP 2700+ processor. The clock speed on it is 2.167ghz. The RAM I have is 1GB of PC2700 clocked at 333mhz.

I am considering swapping out my motherboard and getting the AMD XP 3200+ and some PC3200 RAM, 1GB. The clock speed on this processor is 2.2ghz which is not much faster than my current processor but the cache on the processor and the FSB is faster.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of an upgrade? Would it be worth it for me to do this? The cost would be about $650.

Originally posted by easytarget:

i guess the first question that jumps to my mind is are you trying to upgrade to fix some specific problems you're having in performance in CM or other games?

because what you're describing sounds like a lot of money to spend considering how little difference it's likely to make

No problems being experienced. To restate, is their a significant performance jump going from 2700+ to 3200+ with matching RAM upgrades? Wondering if anyone has any experience with the 3200+. I was leaning towards a P4 but I have had such a good experience with the AMD processors that I might stick with them. A few months ago I was considering a high end P4 upgrade but I've reconsidered this. I'm pretty sure the cost of this upgrade would be cheaper than going with a P4 upgrade.

[ December 31, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Jack Carr ]

i've run CM on p4 2ghz and on a brand new p4 3ghz w/ 800 fsb etc

i don't honestly see a lot of difference in CM between the two

btw, the 2ghz model was using an overclocked nvidia ti200 and the 3ghz is running an ati 9800pro

while this would tend to suggest a huge performance increase, given the processor speed, the video card differences, and the FSB (plus faster RAM), it really hasn't made that much of a difference in CM

if CM is all you're worried about, i wouldn't consider the upgrade you're considering worth the cost and trouble

i upgraded to a faster machine for games other than CM - specifically D3 and HL2 - and in the case of a current game i'm enjoying immensely, price of persia, the graphics and processor capabilities of the new machine are put to full use and i have the ability to run it 1600x1200 wtih everything turned all the way up - that would not of been possible with the older machine - so in my case it was worth it - in your case, i just don't think it is - unless of course you have the hardware bug and just can't shake it - in which case i'd follow the above advice and consider a vid card change before going with the new MB (assuming you've got a vid card below a 4600 or 9700pro - if you've got either of these or above, i wouldn't even do that upgrade)

Originally posted by Andrewguy:

why not upgrade your video card first.

Andrew,

Thanks for your suggestion. My current video card is awfully good. I'm running a Geforce Ti4600 with 128mb of memory 4X AGP capable. Perfect for CM.

At this point I think a processor upgrade would be more in order.

Originally posted by easytarget:

i've run CM on p4 2ghz and on a brand new p4 3ghz w/ 800 fsb etc

i don't honestly see a lot of difference in CM between the two

btw, the 2ghz model was using an overclocked nvidia ti200 and the 3ghz is running an ati 9800pro

while this would tend to suggest a huge performance increase, given the processor speed, the video card differences, and the FSB (plus faster RAM), it really hasn't made that much of a difference in CM

if CM is all you're worried about, i wouldn't consider the upgrade you're considering worth the cost and trouble

i upgraded to a faster machine for games other than CM - specifically D3 and HL2 - and in the case of a current game i'm enjoying immensely, price of persia, the graphics and processor capabilities of the new machine are put to full use and i have the ability to run it 1600x1200 wtih everything turned all the way up - that would not of been possible with the older machine - so in my case it was worth it - in your case, i just don't think it is - unless of course you have the hardware bug and just can't shake it - in which case i'd follow the above advice and consider a vid card change before going with the new MB (assuming you've got a vid card below a 4600 or 9700pro - if you've got either of these or above, i wouldn't even do that upgrade)

Easy,

Your advice is exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. The difference in processors in your example is much more dramatic than the one that I am contemplating and you really did not see much of a difference with CM. I think I'll wait for CMX2 before deciding if I need an upgrade.

Thanks

no problem at all - glad to help

since it just so happened that i had upgraded hardware recently i had a pretty good idea of how much, or how little, impact it has specifically on CM

i can't say that i'm disappointed since in my case the upgrade was for other games which have in fact been positively affected

i think in your case you're making the right call - while i know all too well the desire to upgrade, i think it's also more fun to do it when you get the most bang for your buck - and in the case of CM, that's going to happen ultimately with the new engine - at which point the new hardware will no doubt get to actually show off its abilities