why don't any of these great mods work for me?

i have tried a number of cmak specific mods, and nothing seems to change. my bmp folder does not seem to have original material in it, so i dont think i over-wrote anything. is there something im missing? most of the mods have a txt file that says just put the files in the bmp folder, but then what? this can't be so complicated.

Are you sure nothing is changing? Perhaps the mod is for a slightly different vehicle then what you're looking at, for example a Sherman II vs a Sherman III, neither of which would effect a U.S. Sherman. Another possibility is did you use a CMMOS Mod? Those won't show if you drop them unmodified into the BMP folder. Which mods did you try?

Originally posted by KG_Steiner:

my bmp folder does not seem to have original material in it, so i dont think i over-wrote anything.

What do you mean by "original" ? The BFC bmp's or the mod ?

If you mean that you didn't get prompted that something was being copied over, that is the tell-tale symptom that the bmp file number of the mod does not match the bmp file number of the original. If there is no match in the file number, nothing will change.

There are two reasons why a file number won't match. The first is that there is some kind of extension on the mod's file number. The second, insidious but fairly common, is that a space somehow crept into the file number of the mod when it was getting renamed. The system will read that space as a legitimate character, so bmp file 1234 will not get replaced by bmp file 1234space.

To figure out if this is what is going on, simply look in you bmp folder to see if there is, by any chance, a cluster of bmp's with apparently identical numbers. Or maybe a few with weird extensions.

I wouldn't start messing with mod managers until you've got the basics sorted out and are comfortable with the manual process.

Also, make sure you unzipped them before you copied them to your bmp folder. About six months after I started messing with mods I discovered that I had a layer of what was in effect file sediment because I hadn't unzipped to a separate folder and then copied and pasted and dragged the parts that I wanted installed.

"If you mean that you didn't get prompted that something was being copied over, that is the tell-tale symptom that the bmp file number of the mod does not match the bmp file number of the original. If there is no match in the file number, nothing will change."

before i put the un-zipped files into the BMP folder, there was nothing there. thats what i mean when i say i think there was no original files. so there was nothing to write over. its like we are playing totaly seperate games, which is why im writing this. i didnt forget to unzip it or some other stupid thing. I used to be a network engineer, so computer stuff is easy, but this makes me scratch my head.