Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Firewall Recomendation

I bought a router/switch which allows me to network several PCs to my cable connection and have a wireless network as well. No added overhead on each computer to get in the way. From the read me for internet tcpip play:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Users of the software packages Black Ice Defender and Zone Alarm may have to disable the software completely before a successful connection can be made. We have gotten reports from some users of Black Ice Defender that even disabling the software was not sufficient and they had to fully uninstall the package. Once this was down games could be hosted and joined. Please visit the Battlefront.com Discussion Forums for the latest info on such issues. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a router you do have to enable port 7023 for an outside user to access you inside your firewall. Good luck

Hmmm... The old read me file. ;)

I just noticed that my DSL modem/router must be using NAT or something as my ethernet card has a private IP address. 10.00.00.02

Sent a note off to Qwest tech support, to see how do disable NAT on the Cisco 678 the provided me.

I thought with BlackIce I would be able to list, or make some IP addresses "trusted" while still protecting folders and files from penetration. I like the idea of using the neatgear RT314 for a set-up like you mentioned, are you using that box or which?

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Dirtweasle ]

I'm using the SMC Barricade DSL/Cable NAT router since October last year with a DSL connection and have been very happy with it. It's always gotten very good reviews and NECXDIRECT.com is currently selling it for 79.95 US$. A great deal. Not only does it have the features of the other NAT routers but it has a print server and serial port for connecting an external modem for dial backup if your broadband is not available.

If you want to use your broadband connection to connect to work thru a firewall with a VPN client, both the SMC and Linksys routers have IPSEC and PPTP client pass-thru capability (I believe the Netgear does not support this) which means you do not have to forward any ports for this type of connection to work.