Our Military backgrounds

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Omi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Wow. What's the maximum age you can be to join the Canadian Army? And I know that women are allowed in combat arms, how often do they actually make it into a squad?

I think there's no age limit in the reserve, as long as you can do your basic training and pass your qualifications for the job. </font>

Originally posted by Gyrene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gadzilla:

USMC 1988-1993

I went to boot on the Island then to TN for A school, spent my 5 years as an CH-46 Chrewcheif and Machanic. My squadron HMM-164, as part of the 15th MEU, did the initial invasion for "Operation Restore Hope". After the Marines I went to Penn State got a degree in Aerospace engineering and now I'm back working with the Marines :D (as a civilian engineer) on a rotorcraft flight test program.

Were you on a float when you went to Somalia? We C5'd in.

We were both in Tustin at around the same time! I was in flightline in the Screw & 363 a couple of line shacks down from yours and across the way from you guys in Hangar 1. (Unless I'm mistaken and you were out of Hangar 2)

Gyrene </font>

I guess (so far) that I am the "Old Fart" of the veterans.

I enlisted in June 1947, Basic at Fort Ord, Calif

Went to Jump school at Fort Benning right out of Basic training. Went to the 11th Airborne Div on occupation in Japan. I was assigned to B battery 674 Para Field Artillery.

I transferred to B Troop 5th Cav Regt, 1st Cav Div when the 11th AB was transferred back to the states in the latter part of 1948. I left Japan in Oct 1949.

I was discharged and reenlisted in Feb 1950. I wanted to go back to the 1st Cav in Japan.

I ended up on Okinawa in April 1950. When the Korean war started in June of 1950 I was in the 29th Inf Regt. We got to Korea on about the 22nd of July and were immediatly commited to combat supporting the 19th Inf Regt of the 24th Div.

Our Regt (the 29th was all but wiped out in the battle of Hadong (3rd Bn) & Annui/Chinju (1st Bn).

On the 5th of Sept 1950 the men who were left of 1st Bn 29th became the 3rd Bn of the 35th Regt of the 25th Inf Div. The men who were left from 3rd Bn 29th became the 3rd Bn of the 27th Regt also of the 25th Div.

We fought the No. Korean Peoples Army up into North Korea. We were doing fine until about Nov of 1950 when the Chinese Peoples Army decided to enter the war. There sure were a lot of them!

I finally left Korea in April of 1951 and was assigned to an Engr Amphib support Regt in Pt Townsend Washington.

In Jan of 1952 our unit was transferred to Camp Desert Rock about 70 Miles North of Las Vegas to participate in the Atomic tests. We stayed there about 6 months participating in 3 different atomic "shots'".

In Aug of 1952 I attended the "Ranger School" at Fort Benning Georgia.

I went to Germany (Augsburg & Munich) in Jan of 1953. I was assigned to the 43rd Infantry Div at Flak Kaserne in Augsburg & Henry Kaserne in Munich.

I finally took a discharge in May 1954. Used the GI Bill to get an Engineering degree. I worked for 20 Years in Australia, then the last 2 years before retirement in England.

Except for a wound or three I really enjoyed my military service. I went to Korea as a Cpl (BAR man). I ended up as a Platoon Sgt.

I guess (so far) that I am the "Old Fart" of the veterans.

I enlisted in June 1947, Basic at Fort Ord, Calif

Went to Jump school at Fort Benning right out of Basic training. Went to the 11th Airborne Div on occupation in Japan. I was assigned to B battery 674 Para Field Artillery.

I transferred to B Troop 5th Cav Regt, 1st Cav Div when the 11th AB was transferred back to the states in the latter part of 1948. I left Japan in Oct 1949.

I was discharged and reenlisted in Feb 1950. I wanted to go back to the 1st Cav in Japan.

I ended up on Okinawa in April 1950. When the Korean war started in June of 1950 I was in the 29th Inf Regt. We got to Korea on about the 22nd of July and were immediatly commited to combat supporting the 19th Inf Regt of the 24th Div.

Our Regt (the 29th was all but wiped out in the battle of Hadong (3rd Bn) & Annui/Chinju (1st Bn).

On the 5th of Sept 1950 the men who were left of 1st Bn 29th became the 3rd Bn of the 35th Regt of the 25th Inf Div. The men who were left from 3rd Bn 29th became the 3rd Bn of the 27th Regt also of the 25th Div.

We fought the No. Korean Peoples Army up into North Korea. We were doing fine until about Nov of 1950 when the Chinese Peoples Army decided to enter the war. There sure were a lot of them!

I finally left Korea in April of 1951 and was assigned to an Engr Amphib support Regt in Pt Townsend Washington.

In Jan of 1952 our unit was transferred to Camp Desert Rock about 70 Miles North of Las Vegas to participate in the Atomic tests. We stayed there about 6 months participating in 3 different atomic "shots'".

In Aug of 1952 I attended the "Ranger School" at Fort Benning Georgia.

I went to Germany (Augsburg & Munich) in Jan of 1953. I was assigned to the 43rd Infantry Div at Flak Kaserne in Augsburg & Henry Kaserne in Munich.

I finally took a discharge in May 1954. Used the GI Bill to get an Engineering degree. I worked for 20 Years in Australia, then the last 2 years before retirement in England.

Except for a wound or three I really enjoyed my military service. I went to Korea as a Cpl (BAR man). I ended up as a Platoon Sgt.

RESPECT! LOTS OF RESPECT!