CMAK useful for doing CMBO type stuff?

Hi all, long time no see....

Been thinking of getting back into CM so after a search I see answers to my query alluded to but nothing really concrete. So are people doing this? Are there mods and or scenerios/ops for it?

I am interested in the Med theatre and being able to do CMBO type stuff with an updated game engine would be icing on cake I'm looking for.

Cheers

I always use CMAK to represent western fights, including those in France etc. Just set the thing in Italy. There are very few things missing and the modeling of everything is dramatically better than CMBO.

There is only one quirk of AK that I find gets in the way of doing this regularly - artillery pricing for the allies. This is only an issue in QBs, particularly smaller ones. Most of the realistic types are priced out of reach for the very small point budgets allowed to arty. This is because they are large caliber, responsive, high ammo etc. Meanwhile the Germans have a wide variety of middling calibers with modest ammo loads, that are affordable.

The result is, guys who should have the most arty have the least, and vice versa. As in, US force can pick 81mm mortars or nothing, Germans can have 120mm mortars and 81mm and a small 75mm infantry gun module, or 105mm - with similar budgets.

The way around this is to use scenarios, where points don't matter and there are no limits. But it is a pain to get a third party to set those up to do a QB, so neither side knows the forces of both etc. If you don't play QBs a lot, you won't even notice this issue.

Note that earlier, in the desert, this isn't so much of an issue. The Brits have some reasonably priced modules, though not as many as the Germans. Desert fighting is tank heavy and FO arty light (on map guns matter, but trumping infantry means having 2 tanks with working machineguns, not digging them out of a dense forest). The Americans, late war fighting in denser terrain, you'd realistically lean heavily on 105s and 155s etc. And you just can't, in CMAK QBs (as opposed to scenarios).

Another QB problem I've noticed in AK is that, again probably due to category budgets, the AI almost always picks Armored Engineers for infantry in small-to-medium U.S. Mechanized OBs.

Only a big deal for those of us who like to try U.S. armored infantry attacks in QBs, but it's there.

-dale

A quick search at the Depot found 53 battles set in France in 1944/45. There are more set in Belgium, Holland, Lux, Germany. Then there's the ops.

So, yes, CMAK can do CMBO. More to the point designers are using CMAK to do CMBO.

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

Apart from the already mentioned unit differences (so no King Tiger vs. Super Pershing matches) the bocage terrain type is also missing in CMAK.

Dschugaschwili

It's also missing in BO, but don't get me started on bocage. smile.gif

-dale

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

I thought the CMAK high hedges worked the same as 'bocage'? Never tried it but I remember one of the BFC guys mentioning they'd set it up like that. Did they leave out the tanks passing through bocage after June '44 afterall? Sloppy.

Bocage will never be correctly represented as long as terrain tiles are 20x20m. Bocage is really the compact combination of about 3 or 4 different terrain types - flattish field, 3-4 ft high embankment side, topped with brush/trees, 6-10 ft drop down another embankment, road or path a meter to 3 m wide, then reverse it going back out. That's a pretty generic description of a pretty generic hedgerow, but that's the essence.

-dale

Originally posted by Kingfish:

I've got about a dozen CMBO scenario converted to CMAK. Mostly Wild Bill classics, plus a few others.

If there was one more vehicle type I could add it would be the Cromwell. That would open up a lot more scenarios for conversions.

Are they at the Depot?

I have a couple of setups I owe folks.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

I've got about a dozen CMBO scenario converted to CMAK. Mostly Wild Bill classics, plus a few others.

If there was one more vehicle type I could add it would be the Cromwell. That would open up a lot more scenarios for conversions.

Are they at the Depot?

I have a couple of setups I owe folks.

-dale </font>

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

AVRE and Crocodile are in, just later then you'd expect. I believe Buffalo and Crab weren't possible* with the CMx1 engine. The Puma AC is another neat vehicle missing in CMAK.

*Or not worth the effort.

Sorry if my comment was ambiguous. I meant that the AVRE and Crococdile were in already, it was a shame the others were not. Maybe next time... CMX2, that is.

Tim P

PS JasonC, I'd be interested in trying out your Bocage scenario.