File question?

I'm using Windows XP. I have a question concerning deleting unwanted files. I downloaded a couple of files from CMHQ the other day. When I went to delete them ( I have limited space on my hard drive & I don't want use it all up keeping extra copies of unnnecessary files ) Windows wouldn't let me ( it said the file was being used by another person or program ). I was able to delete the files this afternoon with no problem. Could anyone tell me why this happened & what I should do if it occurs again? Thanks.

'File locking' will happen if another program has the file open and it should prevent you from moving or deleting the file. What files were you trying to delete and had you recently opened them (including viewing them in some manner with File Manager Explorer or Internet Explorer) ?

If you can't figure out what opened Ior did open) the files, you could reboot the computer and attempt to delete the files as the first actions you do.