Model Tanks

Didn't get any comment at all over in the GF so figured I would post these here, just to see what people think. Comments or criticisms welcome! These are pics of my Panther, StuG and Jumbo Sherman models built over the past couple of years. No weathering as I have no idea how to do it. All are brush painted as well. These are clickable thumbnails so you should be able to open them up.

HPIM105.th.jpg

HPIM0106.th.jpg

HPIM0108.th.jpg

HPIM0110.th.jpg

HPIM0112.th.jpg

HPIM0114.th.jpg

HPIM0116.th.jpg

HPIM0117.th.jpg

Whose kitchen counter mod is that?

Nice models, but a couple of hints:

1. Better focus on the pictures, please.

2. Get rid of the cheap decals. Make a stencil out of tape, and put the stars or crosses on by hand. They don't have to be perfect, but it eliminates that shiny pasted on look.

3. Try some weathering (especially on those factory-fresh Panther wheels!). It's easier than you think, and pretty hard not to improve upon what you've already got.

I really like the Panther paint job! Get some mud on it, and it'll be very nice.

even though i cant see it, here are some good tips.

1. what rleete says is true. i invested in a number of stencil kits, and even made some of my own. i stopped using the slide off decals along time ago. just no way to make em' look any good.

2. i am a big fan of link treads. the kind that come in individual links. takes a hell of a long time to make, but the results can be truly spectacular, because you can control the way they 'hang' on the tank.

3. weathering. washing and drybrushing bring out all the little details, and make it a true work of art. mix some rubbing alcohol with progressively darker paints, and use liberally. the rubbing alcohol drys in such a way as to not leave the paint blotchy. drybrish with light colors, ending with an offwhite, but dont over do it, and use a nice wide fan drush. there is a great product available called cellu-clay, when u mix it with water it looks like mud, and is easy to paint when dry...looks great as mud in the treads, and built up on the undercarrige.

anyway, there are tons of other forums for this.

If you want to learn how to weather and detail your models, get this book, it'll blow your mind.

Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles

by Sheperd Paine

web page

Also, don't photograph your models on a reflective surface, get a grey-green, poster size sheet of paper to make a base and backdrop.

[ September 17, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Flammenwerfer ]

Scale on all of these is 1/35.

Thanks for all the tips and comments, all are appreciated!

I know a couple of the pics were a bit out of focus, sorry bout that! (It's a new camera, haven't figured everything out yet). Point taken as well about the background and shiny surface for taking pics. My kitchen counter isn't the best place for this!

Great tips on weathering and thanks for the link to that book. I will definitely pick that up! I've never tried my hand at weathering because I wasn't sure how to do it and after all that time painting by hand I got really afraid of messing them up. I do agree though that weathering would really improve on what I have. (The Panther is definitely my favorite too and obviously took the most time, but I agree about those shiny factory wheels! I guess I always rationlized it that it just got a thorough washing, ;) ).

Point taken on the decals as well. I do hate how out of place and shiny they are. They don't look so bad in real life, the camera flash really brings it out worse but they still don't look right. Stenciling is a great idea!

Originally posted by KG_Steiner:

I can only see little red x's. Pity. probly my fault though, i'm in china, and the gov't here might deem your panther a security risk.

I'd really like to see your pics though, i've been an active modeller since i was old enough to squeeze a tube of glue.

Sorry you can't see them! I could email you a few if you are really that interested.

Since you've been at it so long do you have any good pics of your favorite models? I would like to see them!

Thanks for the replies and tips!

Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

[snips]

I know a couple of the pics were a bit out of focus, sorry bout that!

The Sherman was a bit blurry, bit the others I looked at seemed pretty sharp to me. If this is a first effort with a new camera, I don't doubt that you will be turning in absolutely excellent results with a little practice (and they're pretty darn good as it is, IMHO).

[snips]

I do agree though that weathering would really improve on what I have. (The Panther is definitely my favorite too and obviously took the most time, but I agree about those shiny factory wheels! I guess I always rationlized it that it just got a thorough washing, ;) ).

If you look at the way real tanks get covered in mud, you can hardly overdo the mud coating round the running gear. In 1/35th scale, it is probably worth adding some material to the paint to provide "lumpiness". I have seen some nice effects obtained with dry-brushing and spattering, and also using unmixed or lightly mixed matt enamel, so that some of the "mud" dries matt and some more glossy, givving the impression of mud that has partially dried.

Thinned black makes nice petrol stains around filler caps, talcum powder mixed with brick red gives texture to "rust", and dry-brushing with gunmetal gives you scuffs and wear in the polaces people tend to walk.

Point taken on the decals as well. I do hate how out of place and shiny they are. They don't look so bad in real life, the camera flash really brings it out worse but they still don't look right. Stenciling is a great idea!

A method I've used in 1/76th -- I don't know if it would work in 1/35th but I don't see why not -- is as follows:

1. Paint the area of the star (or other marking) in the colour it is to appear.

2. Apply the star (or number or whatever -- this only works for one-colour markings) using Letraset or similar dry tranfers decals. The colour of the Letraset doesn't matter. Do not buff the decal.

3. Paint the tank in its overall colour, over the decal and all.

4. When the paint is dry, use low-tack masking tape to remove the Letraset. This should lift off exposing a neat star (or other thing) in the colour you applied in stage 1.

All the best,

John.

good tip john!

i like to take a real close look at bulldozers and tracked construction vehicles when i get the chance. it shows you exactly how mud collects on tracks. spash patterns and such.

a nice diorama also really adds to a finished project.

sorry, no pics. i live in another country now, and all my models are back at home.

Hey John,

Thanks a ton. I was familiar with missing-lynx but I always just browsed their pictures. I just read a great article that finally detailed a lot of things I was curious about regarding finishing and weathering. I don't have an airbrush but it seems that is the way to truly finish models like these. Very enlightening!

[ September 20, 2004, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Lord Dragon ]

Picture taking tips:

1. go to the library and get out a book/magazine on how to photograph the scale models (should also have oodles of painting tips, too);

2. now that you've slaved away indoors to make the model, get out of the house to do the photography: place the model in the grass/sand, then lie down to take the shot. Try to ensure the background doesn't give away the scale;

3. if you insist on using a flash or other artificial lighting, soften it somehow (e. g. tissue paper over the flash or bounced of a white surface). The library visit refered to in point 1 should have plenty of pointers on this.

Great stuff; don't stop cranking them out.