On BBC tonight....

Ulster Generals

BBC 1 Mon Oct 30 10:40 PM

(50 min., United Kingdom, Magazine/Report/Documentary)

Add to My Calendar

By 1942 the Allies faced losing the Mediterranean, the Far East, the Iraq oilfields, India and possibly its US ally. The defeat of Rommel by the 8th Army under General Montgomery at El Alamein was considered by Churchill the hinge moment of the War, but the "first" battle of El Alamein has been ignored.

Colonel Tim Collins' analysis of the fearsome tank battles fought for Egypt and North Africa shows how four Ulster generals turned the tide of World War Two.

Whoops, guess I'd better make a comment too.

IIRC, Col. Tim Collins is the same CO of the Royal Irish who made the now famous speech just prior to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The question is: can anyone name the titular four Ulstermen?

Bother. Yahoo sucks at being a TV listing. I'd have liked to watch that.

A choice between what looks to be a decent history documentary or some cretinous, lowest-common-denominator, lowbrow, alleged 'humour'

Seriously, when I stage my coup to take over the UK, there's going to be some deeply unpleasant things happening to TV schedulers.