CMX2 Map Editor?

I've searched the threads a bit and I still can't establish whether or not CMX2 will have a map editor and allow 3rd party scenario designs.

Please excuse me if what at face value this seems like a silly question, but it seems like Im seeing only "in the can" scenarios will be available, but the terrain "tiles" will be smaller.

I want to do historically time-period accurate (both horizontal and vertical) terrain representations for CMX2 and I love the idea that the tiles will be smaller...

but will I be able to make my own maps in CMX2?

simovitch

Originally posted by simovitch:

I've searched the threads a bit and I still can't establish whether or not CMX2 will have a map editor and allow 3rd party scenario designs.

Please excuse me if what at face value this seems like a silly question, but it seems like Im seeing only "in the can" scenarios will be available, but the terrain "tiles" will be smaller.

I want to do historically time-period accurate (both horizontal and vertical) terrain representations for CMX2 and I love the idea that the tiles will be smaller...

but will I be able to make my own maps in CMX2?

simovitch

I know Steve said user-defined Campaigns may or may not be possible - possibly not; I don't know that maps alone have been discussed yet or not.

The impression that I got was that Scenarios and Quick Battles will still exist, along with an editor to create/modify them. The new 'campaigns' were still undefined as to whether they will be user-creatable/modifiable since they are apparently a bit complex and an editor to create them may not be included.

I'd take a guess that if CMx2:1 doesn't have the capability to create/modify campaigns that CMx2:2 or 3 will be capable in that regard.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CSO_Talorgan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />We are looking into ways of allowing people to add customized skins for objects on a scenario by scenairo basis. It won't allow for customized building shapes. Too early to say if this will happen or not as it is still on the "if we have time" list.

This is from the Bones thread. It implies that there will still be a map editor but we won't be able to design our own buildings.

Doing away with the map editor is just too appauling to contemplate. </font>

"Doing away with the map editor is just too appauling to contemplate."

You ain't kiddin'!

I don't even care if they improve it, as long as it stays. I doubt I'd buy the game if it was removed.

How's that for an empty threat?

But I would be spewing TNT like there would be no TNT to spew on the morn. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by MAUS_TD:

Micheal,

did i read your remark correct??

NO OPS, wtf is this for game. :eek:

The most games i like are operations so if steve tells us there will be no operation then for me there will be no CMX2

:mad:

Check out his recent comments - there will be "Campaigns" instead of Operations which will hopefully be better...

Originally posted by MAUS_TD:

Micheal,

did i read your remark correct??

NO OPS, wtf is this for game. :eek:

The most games i like are operations so if steve tells us there will be no operation then for me there will be no CMX2

:mad:

They never liked "operations" so they have are working on something "better" and they are refering to them in their hints/bones as "Story based Campaigns" BUT exactly what that means is anyone's guess but Steve promises us that they will be better and far more warmly welcomed by players than the old operation concept.

OK?

Sit back

Relax

Don't worry

Steve et. al. say they will take care of Campaigns for us

smile.gif

Be Happy

-tom w

Just a little quote from the first "bone a plenty" thread. Hope it helps.

Battlefront said earlier

With the new system (which basically doesn't use tiles at all) all sorts of things have changed. However, because CMx2 games won't contain hand crafted scenarios (like other games, especially FPS types) there will still be a bit of generic feel to individual objects. The only way to avoid that is to eliminate Quick Battles and the Editor, which I am sure you guys don't want.

Sounds like it is rather obvious to them people that the editor is there to stay.

HTH

"because CMx2 games won't contain hand crafted scenarios"

huh?

I assume it means they won't be closed, scripted scenarios like levels are in your average FPS. Rather, at least from what I understand, these will be made out of the editor just like CMx1, (remember the old CMBO pitch "the game comes with the exact same editor that was used to design scenarios ?) only with tons of improvments and new features, and perhaps some simple scripting tools and so on <--- but that's the part they wont let us know about. smile.gif

Again, FWIW

"because CMx2 games won't contain hand crafted scenarios"

huh?

"The only way to avoid that is to eliminate Quick Battles and the Editor, which I am sure you guys don't want"

uh... huh? ok. I remain cautiously optimistic.

I think Steve means as far as buildings and terrain elements are concerned.

What's he's saying you either be allowed to hand craft building/terrain elements through 3dmax say and use them in a hand crafted scenario, but at the expense of a quick battle, which wont make use of these elements.

Mace

[ January 28, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Mace ]

Originally posted by CSO_Talorgan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

As in, a road (or contour or any line) can run straight from point A to point B without wiggling, even if the line is, say, in a 38,5 degree angle.

Thanks. Looks like good news. </font>