Churchill AVRE firing rate, quick question

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible spoiler:

Okay, I've been playing To the Last Man. It is a really nice scenario in that you really have to manage your infantry to make progress. And the AT threat forces you to move your tanks cautiously. The Buidlings cut both ways in that regard...Ironically I eliminated one of wood bunkers with smoke and infantry and one other with the croc's 75mm. The AVRES ended up more annoying than anything else because of their limited anti-infantry capability. The land mines were just mean!

Ok well,

I was firing at that tiger but my British rifle infantry actually took it out......from inside a building 5 feet away, how? I have no idea. All I saw was a the word "hit" appear on the tank and heard my troops encouraging one another. Nice kill

So now there was this STug III between the two buildings being that tiger across a courtyard.

So my AVRE targeted the building blocking the way to the stug's right. First round hit the top of the roof. Upsetting someone in the attic.

The second round flew over the building a caught the building on the eave right above he stug in the alleyway.... this was a a 2 story building..... well it went boom and the stug WAS knocked out. Not crew made it out. It was an air burst 2 stories above an AFV and it took it right out. Plus messed up all his infantry hiding in the rubble below as well. If you'd like to see the turn I can send the file to you.

But it did kill the Stug without actually hitting it, it just got through the weak top armor with an airburst

Cabe, I'd like to see the file just for the entertainment value!

I'd like to hear from someone who is versed in the mechanics of the game. Did the airburst simply penetrate the thinner top armor of the STUG with its large blast? Or, was it a model of its shaped charge being that the stug was underneath? I believe that being next to a collapsing building is bad for vehicles as well as Infantry, too.

well the building didn't collapse. I m still working on that. Got to see my avre fire on the move. the accuracy was off of course, but it fired it about 100 yards over the tank and building, there was a bridge behind it and it went over that into the water, yet in the water it still routed some inf that were pinned on the bridge.

At least thats what I think happened, because you rarely see 3 PZgrndier troops start yelling and running away all at once from some mg fire that they had trained on them from my chuchill VII. It happened shortly after the charge hit the water below them, and that seems kinda....goofy

I could send some turns to you but only if you can handle a big file

[ April 29, 2007, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Cabe Booth ]

Originally posted by Cabe Booth:

I could send some turns to you but only if you can handle a big file

Sounds like a twisted come on... redface.gif

Yeah I can handle a larger file. just zip it and email it to my registered email.

As far as the guys running away maybe you could mention it in the "morale model is retarded" thread :rolleyes:

hahaha, yeah

I bought this game today and one of my guys got shot and everyone else was like oh no! and I was like hey no way, and they were like yep, were outta here and I was all like F this I quit.

well how big of a file? I could send you around 30 turns and you can watch all the avre action

Oh, you see I got the idea by listening to everyone discuss March Madness until cried blood punching my radio/radio/TV/friend a to base color of dust. Then straight into my favorite hockey team getting knocked out in 1st round so all I could hear about was baseball and how much a team sucks/rules 16 games into 4000 game season and the NFL draft like it was the second coming of Christ. Just thought I would share the misery.

Hi Cabe, it's funny you'd been talking about the AVRE these days, since I was also curious to see it in action... So it seems the model is not accurate in BO but it works in AK almost realistically, isn't it?

Just to save time, I would also like to check on your battle turns and see the 'monster' spitting its train wagons: please send me your turns' game too.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i made a file thats has a few of the game turns in a row

They are all game files in order with Churchill AVRE action.

Ask me and I can send it to you, just post here or email me.

I think it is 6 turns long just over 3MB zipped.

during the turns several things happen that are pretty cool to watch so I included all the turns in a row.

Of course there are 2 AVRE's moving and firing. One of which gets an the unusual kill of Stug By hitting the awning of a roof above the alley it is hidden in. I assume the stug is destroyed because the top armor was penetrated by the blast. If someone wants to diagnose the kill, please do.

Another instance has some UK 44 riflemen knocking out a tiger tank with a single hand grenade, not AT weapons. It was very interesting to see and it proves that infantry are deadly even without satchels and piats/fausts

The third thing is just a fun encounter where an Achilles makes a heroic charge out of danger into even more, it occurs at the same time as the other events so it is all there.

I enclosed a text file telling you were to look to see the action, such as the grenade on the tiger and the AVRE shell burst.

I do believe the Tiger is Taken out by a HQ and not the Squad..that was great entertainment. Was your friend trying to drive through the building?

The heroic Achilles was fun. You friend ws probably pulling his hair out. Usually the CPU does that kind of thing to me. Nice to see it happen in someone's favor?

Could you tell me which turn has the Stug destruction? I think I missed it

This is what the text file says. Just run the file 72 and watch the AVRE in the city by the RR tracks and bridges.

File 72 (turn 23) is the AVRE kill of the stug

As you can see the stug has us stuck

There are 2 axis units across the bridge holding my Churchills back, so I am using my AVRE to try and get rid of that building and get some sort of LOS and kill the AT troops inside. The AVRE fires a round that travels almost over the building landing near the top floor, the blast knocks out the stug, I assume this is because the top armor is so thin, whatever the case is was pretty dang cool. Bonus play.

The AVRE was one of the Hobart's Funnies invention made to demolish bunkers on the landing beaches of Normandy, and surely it had tremendous power for that; I also made some modifications to an existing scenario, adding a full company of AVRE just to have fun demolishing a small village: since I made all of them CRACK units, there was not much delay in their action, I noticed; they all fired at least once for turn, sometimes even twice... KABOOM!!! of course they are slow moving beasts, and may very well become easy prey for high velocity guns (the 88s, Panthers and Tigers); I believe you should use them well protected by AT and Tanks, as well as infantry; against fortifications and foxholes they are tremendous!

[ May 24, 2007, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Gen Von Television ]

well the bonus is that they don't need LOS to fire, at least that was my experience, I was behind a ridge in where I wouldn't be able to see what I was firing at, but it was accurate, but firing over a taller object like a building wasn't possible I think,.

I guess the AVRE has a different interpretation of hull down. It is much more accurate if you can get LOS though. Dang thing is like a mortar HT that doesn't need perfect LOS, oh and blows the crapola out of stuff.

Perfect for making and area infested with troops get routed.

Kingfish,

That fight was the kind that leads to PTSD. Had no idea there was a CMAK version! What battle did we fight where my Green FO blew a block apart? Am pretty much convinced it wasn't Lion-sur-Mer, for that was a terrible grind with me as the Brits, where I learned the hard way the difference between the armor protection of AVREs and other British armor.

Cabe Booth,

Still waiting for your AVRE movie file or whatever you said you'd send me.

Regards,

John Kettler