Is it me or is this game a ripoff of CM???

Willard

no the game is not a ripoff of combat mission. It is a game dealing with WW 2 in a campaign format and it includes the entire European War from Poland, Eastern Front and Western Front. Graphics are unlike anything I have ever seen in a wargame and the playable map is much smaller than combat mission. the units gain experience as you progress. Everything I have mentioned combat mission does not have. I have of course not seen the new combat mission engine. I believe both games will compliment each other and also one last point is that the wartime command is in a real time format. Beyond that details are still forthcoming. Check out the forum for more details.

This has been around for awhile. I forget what the previous development name for this game was. It's from the same people who programmed Operation Flashpoint (and it's the graphic engine from IL-2 Sturmovik I believe).

It does look beautiful, but I'd bet that it has quite a limit on the number of player-controlled units since it is an RTS with high-detail rendered objects (apparently around 50 may be the max). Plus I'd guess that the maps are 'pre-built' and they max out at 1km x 1km. A map editor may be offered after release though.

I was following the development of the game back when it was called "WWII RTS", but lost contact with it when it switched websites.

It looks interesting, and it appears that the developers are keeping realism and historical accuracy in mind.

Though, like any other game it seems to have its limitations.

As I recall - and perhaps this has changed - you can only control up to 16 units at a time. I also recall, that the game, while RTS, is centred around micromanaging and seems limited to small actions. Personally, I don't really want to concern myself with giving orders to my individual tank hull machine gunners to engage target "x", but then again, I'm not everyon else.

Anyhow - hopefully it won't get watered down in order to appeal to the casual gamer. There aren't a whole lot of companies, let a lone games designed with Grogs in mind these days, but one can always hope this WWII title doesn't get botched like so many others.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

It's from the same people who programmed Operation Flashpoint (and it's the graphic engine from IL-2 Sturmovik I believe).

I think that would make Oleg angry if it is his engine being used by the Czech's(?).

Last time I checked out that game the info was that the range of tank guns has been altered to fit in with the game map size. You can guess how happy that made a lot of people.

I've seen plenty of eye candy for this game but found precious little hard evidence of how it will actually play or how realistic the unit compositions will be etc. Not saying it will be a bad game but the many people hailing it as the next greatest thing in realistic wargaming might be in for a bit of a disappointment.

Another aspect of this game's realism that has me concerned is the penetration and damage model for armor. The fact that it is an RTS means it's highly unlikely, especially if there is a lot going on, that the computer can actually crunch all the numbers involved. The Wego system of Combat Mission permits this. I think we would all be shocked to see the math that occurs when we see our little tank have a round ricochet off the front.

I suspect this new game will have to compromise and simply tweak the results and fudge the math so that it gets penetration statistics that are a good approximation of reality. Of course this doesn't mean the game won't be any fun, but, in this respect, it will almost assuredly be less realistic than CM.

Originally posted by pritzl:

I think we would all be shocked to see the math that occurs when we see our little tank have a round ricochet off the front.

I'm far from convinced that all that math adds realism to the game. It could very well be like calculating beyond the number of sigificant digits. Also, since other factors of the game are left with weaker models, in order to have a very strong armor penetration model, the overall result isn't necessarily any better.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pritzl:

I think we would all be shocked to see the math that occurs when we see our little tank have a round ricochet off the front.

I'm far from convinced that all that math adds realism to the game. It could very well be like calculating beyond the number of sigificant digits. Also, since other factors of the game are left with weaker models, in order to have a very strong armor penetration model, the overall result isn't necessarily any better. </font>

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Also, since other factors of the game are left with weaker models, in order to have a very strong armor penetration model, the overall result isn't necessarily any better.

I agree here, and that's the one thing I'm hoping to see improved with next product from BFC. I think everyone would agree that CM does a good job of accurately representing armored combat; however, the infantry aspect could definately use some refining. It is without a doubt fun and offers a good approximation of infantry combat but there is much room for improvement here.

I prefer smaller engagements (I'm talking about 500 point battles) and at this scale, the individual units play a more significant role and approximations are thus more noticible. I often find myself checking idividual squads to see which one has more automatic weapons left for the final assualt of the two story house on the other side of village. Therefore, I would love to see a little more attention paid to the individual soldier. I realize that for others the fun comes from nearly battalion sized engagements where a whole platoon (nearly 50 men) can get killed and nobody notices. In this situation, dealing with the individual becomes laborious micromanagement, but I hope BFC can find a good compromise.

[ December 12, 2003, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: pritzl ]

You guys should check out EYSA, if individual soldier modeling is the thing. As many problems as its has, the patches are making it a playable infantry game. But keep in mind that you are limited to 20 units. Although it sounds like that won't be a problem for you guys.

As far as sacrificing infantry for armor fidelity, I disagree. Name another game out there at this scale that presents combined arms combat with this level of fidelity. And please don't say SPWAW, I always get that thrown back at me. SPWAW is fun but it has far more abstractions than CM, at least CMBB and CMAK. There was only so much that Matrix could do with the old girl.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pritzl:

I'm far from convinced that all that math adds realism to the game. It could very well be like calculating beyond the number of sigificant digits. Also, since other factors of the game are left with weaker models, in order to have a very strong armor penetration model, the overall result isn't necessarily any better. </font>