Question about Defending

When playing a quick battle, or a scenario where the defender gets no reinforcements, how do I make the battle more than just clicking GO each turn, and watching the action unfold?

In many situations like this, it seems all there is to do after the setup, is to just watch the attacker enjoy the game, while I do almost nothing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Keep a reserve.

I assume you are playing against a human. Depending on how big the battle, you will want to keep a platoon (or company) in reserve and a few tanks. If you have the points, some trucks or halftracks to move your infantry. Guns are trickier to move and position but you could have luck depending on the terrain.

If the terrain allows you could mount a counterattack with your reserve.

Originally posted by Bannon DC:

Keep a reserve.

I assume you are playing against a human. Depending on how big the battle, you will want to keep a platoon (or company) in reserve and a few tanks. If you have the points, some trucks or halftracks to move your infantry. Guns are trickier to move and position but you could have luck depending on the terrain.

If the terrain allows you could mount a counterattack with your reserve.

I've thought of this, but it isn't always an option. Is this all there is? smile.gif

Sometimes your defence may be mobile (ie ambush and fall back) or sometimes it may just be a static one. Whatever type of defence it is though, you shouldn't be just hitting 'go' throughout the entire game, at least if you're playing a competent player.

Though your defence may not move a lot, you should have to make fire control decisions, such as adjusting MG and AT gun fire lanes, infantry cover arcs, artillery fire etc.

Also, infantry need not always stand still. Sometimes it is good to pull out from exposed fighting positions and to retreat to prepared positions in your rear area.

Also, as Bannon DC said, in most games you'll have some kind of reserve. This you'll have to move around as the battle develops.

Lastly, in most battles you should have OP positions, which need to be micromanaged. They need to advance to find the enemy, perhaps ambush some half-squad scouts, and fall back to the MLR.

If you just hit go when playing a decent attacker, your defence will likely collapse rather quickly.

In most CM games, you cannot move reserves in a realistic manner. There's generally no space that's not under fire from the enemy.

You also cannot fall back realistically, as even if you have enough trenches then you suffer from the phenomenon that in CMBB/CMAK the trenches do nothing about suppression. You cannot use CM trenches to move troops if there's any MG fire nearby.

There are exceptions, very good defender scenarios, where a central axis exists for the defender and the attacker can come down multiple roads, but LOS is generally not across the whole map.

Trying to overcome the Jagdpanzers on the defense can also be a great game for both sides. City fights often work.

Sanok,

Exactly what kind of terrain are you defending?

What nationality are you playing, and in which game?

Are you attempting a linear defense?

A deep defense?

Or a mobile defense, with or without strongpoints?

Is the ground favorable?

Have you designated a reserve?

Can you channel the attack into a kill zone? Do you have the tools to do that? Can you improvise?

Can you counter attack?

Can you identify your own weak points? And adjust them? Or use them as bait?

Have an active defense. Force the attacker to change his plan in mid stride.

IMO, QB games to not really provide the defender with favorable conditions to have a true "reserve" force. I have found that I setup all my units in "non-reserve" status, and then pull those units to meet the attackers main thrust - call it a de-facto reserve - when that becomes apparent.

So in answer to Sanok's question, the most important thing that a defender needs to do is find out the attackers main thrust(s) and then plan/redeploy in such a way as to meet that main thrust with maximum resistance.

This needs to be carefully considered during the setup phase, because as Redwolf states, moving troops duing a game can be very difficult.

You cannot use CM trenches to move troops if there's any MG fire nearby.
I use trenches to sneak my units from cover to cover through open ground. They are very effective in that role - although it is slow moving especially for heavy weapons.

Walpurgis Nacht advises you to drive forwards with a good portion of your defense force... effectively "scouting", but more than that stalling the attacker each time they bump into you.

Scout forward, make contact (with overwatch): stall the attacker ... then pull back before they can mass fire on you. Repeat till you are back at your main line of defense (foxholes, cover etc). By that time you should know where there main line of attack is coming, and have a massed your forces to hit there.

Generally speaking, you can't just deploy your forces statically across the map/flags and hope to win, because you will be spread to thin.

The exception to this is very small QBs with only one flag and not much width ... in that case it might just be "hit go" ... play bigger battles smile.gif Play scenarios smile.gif

GaJ

Depending on map (size, open or rugged terrain, a hill between the defender and attacker, lots of cover terrain), some counter reccon makes sense. Go march some foot or vehicle scouts to those places that were initially out of reach during the setup phase and try gaining observation to likely yet unobserved enemy approach routes and assembly points. Might save some time to shift reserves or plot defending barrage earlier.

Since CM assumes the rather rare case that contact between opposing sides is completely broken before a battle (beside any info given in the scenario briefing, unless a QB), it´s the only way to regain some otherwise available prebattle info about the attacking enemy whereabouts.

Also an aggressive defending player might send an armored reserve (if available) to attack the flanks of parts of the enemy forces once discovered. Again, depends largely on above mentioned map attributes (size, cover terrain, ect.)

A more defensive minded, passive player might spend more time during setup for terrain evaluation, thinking about enemy possibilities, movement routes...and then watch the carefully well thought out defense plan succeed...or fail. :D

It is often worthwhile to push forces forward into cover located ahead of your mine line of resistance, take potshots at the enemy, generally force them to become cautious and use advance rather than move etc. It buys you time, you can inflict some damage, and confuses the enemy as to where your main line is. Can be very tricky to time the right moment to withdraw however....thats the fun of it, trying not to lose the troops you send forward. However, if you can manage it, the delays created will often win you the game.

Thinking about it, that would probably not work so well against the AI. But then again the AI is rubbish on the attack anyway.

Originally posted by Cuirassier:

Lastly, in most battles you should have OP positions, which need to be micromanaged. They need to advance to find the enemy, perhaps ambush some half-squad scouts, and fall back to the MLR.

I've thought of this, but with the attacker advantage in points or force size, isn't this just needlessly giving him a few more victory points?

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Generally speaking, you can't just deploy your forces statically across the map/flags and hope to win, because you will be spread to thin.

I agree, but QBs are like that, as well as many scenarios. Scenarios seem to be pretty much designed to make the defender sit in place and wait for the attacker to come.

Originally posted by Corvidae:

Sanok,

Exactly what kind of terrain are you defending?

What nationality are you playing, and in which game?

Are you attempting a linear defense?

A deep defense?

Or a mobile defense, with or without strongpoints?

Is the ground favorable?

Have you designated a reserve?

Can you channel the attack into a kill zone? Do you have the tools to do that? Can you improvise?

Can you counter attack?

Can you identify your own weak points? And adjust them? Or use them as bait?

Have an active defense. Force the attacker to change his plan in mid stride.

Lol. I have no idea how to do some of this. smile.gif