A few things I always wondered...

A couple things I've always wondered about, but never got around to figuring out exactly...anyone know the answers?

1) Do units spot better inside their covered arcs than outside of them (aside from the facing issue, of course)

2) When a gun or tank is aimed up on something, does the 'kill' chance reflect the kill chance of the best round available (ie T over AP), or the round most likely to be fired? Also, is it the chance of penetrating, or of actually knocking out the target?

3) What is the maximum number of turns a variable turn game can go? Is it dependant at all on the state of the battle, or is it totally random?

4) What happens when an arty spotter dies in mid-barrage? Does the rest of the barrage come down, or is it cut off the moment he dies?

Any answers appreciated...

3) What is the maximum number of turns a variable turn game can go? Is it dependant at all on the state of the battle, or is it totally random?
The average is 4-6 turns, although i've seen 10 extra turns on rare occasions. The state of the battle does have an effect.

4) What happens when an arty spotter dies in mid-barrage? Does the rest of the barrage come down, or is it cut off the moment he dies?

The barrage will continue until the end of the current game turn, then cease altogether.

1) No. They don't target anything outside the cover arc, and that is the only effect there is. It doesn't improve accuracy, spotting or target acquisition, it just excludes everything outside the arc (and lets you rotate the turret individually).

2) I'm quite sure it is the best round available. You can test this in the editor: have eg. two Shermans, one with normal ammo and the other with HE only, then compare with LOS tool against a German tank.

4) As long as the spotting round (or first salvo if target is outside FOV) has been shot, the barrage will continue until out of shells.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />4) What happens when an arty spotter dies in mid-barrage? Does the rest of the barrage come down, or is it cut off the moment he dies?

The barrage will continue until the end of the current game turn, then cease altogether. </font>

Originally posted by The Coil:

It can go 25% of the game length or +10 turns, whichever is less. I personally am convinced it has nothing to do with the state of the battle.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />4) What happens when an arty spotter dies in mid-barrage? Does the rest of the barrage come down, or is it cut off the moment he dies?

The barrage will continue until the end of the current game turn, then cease altogether. </font>

Kingfish,

now I tested this. The conclusions:

1) My recollections were correct; if a spotter had already given a fire order and spotting ground had fallen, the order would be carried out until out of ammo even if the FO was perfectly dead by then. I tested this with a barrage called in mid-game.

2) However, I noticed in my tests that it is more than likely that an artillery spotter under fire will first panic and halt their fire order. So, #1 only applies if a spotter gets killed abruptly, usually when already lost one and struck by surprise.

Others have answered the remaining bits, but I noticed no one addressed the second half of question 2. The kill chance displayed is a kill chance not a penetration chance. It includes a reduction for behind armor effect. This is why, for example, you will never see an ATR's kill chance listed higher than "low", even against a thin halftrack at close range. The penetration may be certain but the KO is not, in that case. (It typically takes half a dozen full penetrations with such small AP etc).

Thanks all - helpful info. Does anyone know anything definitive about variable turn endings? I've heard the 'it's battle dependant' claim before, but always based on anecdotal evidence. Call me skeptical, but it seems like it'd be easy to convince yourself the ending depends on the state of the battle, when in fact it is just random.

• 3 weeks later...