Originally posted by Der Kuenstler:

I know that air power cannot be controlled but is there a way to tell if the enemy shoots your plane down or if you shoot theirs down? It would be nice to know.

I think you may also be able to hear the plane falling down if it gets shot down.

I've never heard a plane crash or fall down. But... I'm mostly used to CMBB. Does that happen with CMAK?

Best way to know if the plane has been shot down... or chased off... is to keep an eye on the number of passes it makes. If the plane only makes one or two passes, good chance you shot it down or chased it off. A few planes can only make two or three passes... most seem to be around 5 or 6... some can go to as many as 8 I think.

But, as stated, the only way to know for sure if you actually killed a plane is to see the stats in the post-game screen.

When they are my planes they:

1. Make one pass at the enemy and go away.

2. They make multiple passes at my units.

When they are the enemies planes they:

1. Make multiple passes at my units.

2. Make multiple passes at my units.

I have never seen/heard one shot down. But since #1 on the top list rarely happens, I would cheer the shooting down of any plane!

DavidI

I just played a game where i shot down a plane... replayed the movie turn several times, never heard nothing, just the red targetting line suddenly disappeared. It would have been nice to hear something or at least see something a little more obvious.

I just finished a game where I was surprised to find my Jeep MG had shot down a plane! Didn't know they had it in 'em. smile.gif

I never heard nothing, either. Didn't even know it happened.

A Stuka did fly over and drop a HUGE bomb (that did nothing), but then never showed up again.

Crazy.

Gpig

Yeah, and I had the bailed out pilot parachute in as a Crew once, too ;)

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I once played a battle in CMBO where one of my planes was shot down and crashed on the battlefield. It left a black spot with a couple of sticks poking out and when I clicked on it it said "P-47 Knocked out." I don't know if it is possible in BB or AK but it has never happened since.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Yeah, and I had the bailed out pilot parachute in as a Crew once, too ;)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I once played a battle in CMBO where one of my planes was shot down and crashed on the battlefield. It left a black spot with a couple of sticks poking out and when I clicked on it it said "P-47 Knocked out." I don't know if it is possible in BB or AK but it has never happened since.

</font>

I've shot down many planes against the AI, most of what has been said is right in my experience. The best way to know that you have shot down a plane is to find your unit that it is targeting and see the attack line from the plane disappair midflight exactly the same time as your AA red lines also disappair when reviewing the turn.

I think the only sounds and sight of explosions is just the flak. If you shoot it down before or during its attack run the engine sound stops or doesn't even begin and sometimes the only way I know that a plane has turned up is hearing my AA guns firing flak. With multible AAGs you can hear them all really open up.

Sometimes the plane turns away or flies though after missing its target completely (which is a good enough objective anyway) and if it comes back it usually doesn't survive for long I've noticed as well. Kills arn't always acredited to the right gun, but that happens with ATGs/AFVs also. I think AAMGs on vehicles do fire at planes though I'm surprised that Russian 12.7mm MG units don't and nor do AA88s!!!

Anyhow the only surefire way to know that aircraft have been shot down is at the end in the summery but I'm experienced enough now to be certain when they are during the game. My tips are to have quite a few AAGs, say 3-6-9 in big battles and I suggest considering 37mmAAGs for their blast effects vs infanty and have them positioned in the back for support or as an overwatch reserve. When on the attack have vehicles to move a couple at a time forwards or even mounted light AAGs following.

I hope you all have as much success as I do, it is very satisfying to see those bloody planes fatally come to a sudden stop, believe me! Best of luck.

[ July 09, 2005, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

• 3 months later...

You are right about planes not lasting long if they are driven off the first time around. The Structure number for each aircraft shows how durable they are. An aircraft that has been persuaded to veer off by AA fire has probably taken some hits. When he tries to come around again, a few more hits and he is mincemeat.

I think I see derbis after crash(?) into ground after AA fire once (maybe just from multi-bombs) as I knew there are no target on that "crash" site as I was unaware about rare event. I wish I can hit screenshot save. We can do test it with editor and play repeat on huge map with plenty flaks and some planes with low damage points to see if any luck catch seeing a shot-down plane crash into map.