Driver only rotates tank (Pz Mk IV) while loader loads in between rounds fired!

Spoiler alert for Balkovzy Surprise

In the Balkovzy Surprise (its on the CMBB disk) I was playing the as the Germans against the Russian AI and I watched in wonder :eek: (GOOD Wonder) as my Pz Mk IV excuted a rotate in place order ONLY in between shots!!

It had a t34 aquired and was pumping rounds into it fast as possible as the t34 was not firing back because it was targeting another tank. (thats a good thing)

The Pz Mk IV should have been VERY concerned because it got caught with its FULL flank aspect toward the t34, it had been on a hunt command with the cover arc toward the t34 so the turret was correctly orientated and it acquired the t34 and stopped to fire the minute it had LOS PERFECT! (good thing!)

In the next order phase, I deleted the hunt command and ordered ONLY a rotate in place to bring the frontal aspect toward the t34 (sound tank dueling tactics I figure ;) )

BUT the TAC AI is smarter than that!!!!

During the next minute the tank fired before turning (smart I think!) and then it only did a Little small 2-3 degree rotate in place while the loader loaded the next round, THEN it would stop rotating the hull, adjust the turret, AIM, and fire, it did this three more times before the frontal aspect was toward the intended target. (rotating the hull presumably, only while the loader was loading)

These guys had NERVES of Steal!! PERFECT tank crew co-ordination!

Unt Hiller!

Pn IVF Commander Veteran GETS my Hero of the Month award or nerves of steal and bravery! (it helps when you are a Veteran crew and NOT being fired upon)

here's a pic...

hiller.jpg

What a GREAT GAME!! Many Kudos to Charles for this JEWEL of TAC AI wisdom!!

-tom w

P.S. These tanker gunners MISSED alot of shots, but it was night time and it did not "feel" like they missed TOO much, but they sure do MISS alot at night in that scenario, ALL distances in that one are under 200 m so it is a tank duel in CLose.

[ January 02, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Heh! Coooool!

I loved that battle.

It was my PzIV's that I could NOT wait to get into battle. But it was my III with the 50mm long that did ALL the hard work. After about 6 turns, I'd lost all 3 of my PzIV's. Pretty dispicable, really. smile.gif

Also, my infantry finished off the rest of the tanks. It was so fun, hunting tanks in the darkness.

• 1 month later...

Yeh, I played my first Panther platoon Quickbattle in a very long time (maybe since original V1.00?) and I agree tanks are moving and reacting in a much more realistic manner. Great 'virtual reality' immersion stuff. With all the nit-picking that goes on it's nice to give BFC an occassional thumbs-up. After all, this game DOEs rock.

[ February 27, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]