New to CMBB. Help needed with a couple of questions

Chaps,

Being an old time CMBO player, but new to CMBB, I have just loaded up CMBB for the first time and I've got a few questions. Mainly about things I've seen in a QB.

Here goes:-

1. In CMBB, are AFVs always in C&C, as was the case in CMBO?

2. The German "Radio Car" type unit. Are these just another type of vehicle or do they have any special purpose within CMBB?

3. Using the LOS tool on a light building, the tool reports "Light Building**" what do the two asterisks stand for?

4.When picking units at the start of a QB the rarity modifers (e.g. +30%, +125%) listed against the various units. Do these have any impact on the units purchased, or are these displayed just as information to help me choose a realistic force composition.

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy

Originally posted by JeremyCupit:

Chaps,

Being an old time CMBO player, but new to CMBB, I have just loaded up CMBB for the first time and I've got a few questions. Mainly about things I've seen in a QB.

Here goes:-

1. In CMBB, are AFVs always in C&C, as was the case in CMBO?

2. The German "Radio Car" type unit. Are these just another type of vehicle or do they have any special purpose within CMBB?

3. Using the LOS tool on a light building, the tool reports "Light Building**" what do the two asterisks stand for?

4.When picking units at the start of a QB the rarity modifers (e.g. +30%, +125%) listed against the various units. Do these have any impact on the units purchased, or are these displayed just as information to help me choose a realistic force composition.

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy

1) If tanks are bought in a platoon then they can be out of contact.

2)No special purpose that I'm aware of

3)*'s indicate damage level. One star is about 30% damaged I think, ** is about 80%. So if you are in a building that is at ** and you are recieveing HE fire it might be wise to bug out or it might collapse around you ears smile.gif

4)I leave for some one else

Cpl Carrot

1. Vehicles purchased independantly are always in C&C. Subordinate vehicles in a platoon are not always in C&C. Command ranges are a couple hundred meters regardless of LOS for radio equiped vehicles. For radioless vehicles HQ and subordinate vehicle must be close together, have LOS, and none of them may be buttoned.

2. Don't know right now. I have never got any of those.

3. This was already in CMBO. One star means damaged (damage > 50%), two stars means heavily damaged (damage > 75%).

4. The rarity modifiers are added to the base price of the unit. This is already reflected in the prices you see on the purchasing screen.

Dschugaschwili

4)I leave for some one else

;)

And just in case you missed it (people seem to have fairly often), Jeremy, there are three rarity settings:

None (or maybe it's called "Off", I never use it so I don't remember) - Rarity costs just aren't applied.

Standard - For a given date/region a given unit will always have the same Rarity cost increase (or decrease.) A Sturmtiger, for example, will always be "hidiously expensive" rather than just the base "very very expensive".

Variable - Like Standard, but the costs are, well, "Variable." Not completely random - rare units will still tend to have a high Rarity charge.

And (replying to a common complaint) with Standard Rarity, yes, you are definetly discouraged from taking the rarer units - competative players esp. With Variable Rarity, though, sometimes the rarer units will be availble at a combat-effective-cost, and so can be used without "giving up points" to your opponent.

Personally, I love Variable Rarity. A couple of house-rule type variations:

1) You're only allowed to buy units within a given Rarity range. (Like, -10 to +20.)

2) You're _required_ to spend X points on "Rarity", or just not spend those points. For example - If you're required to spend 100 points on "Rarity" you could fulfill your obligation through buying a 200pt. fighter-bomber at +50% Rarity. This will allow some Rare units in the game without causing either player to "waste" more points on Rarity charges than the other.

[ February 04, 2003, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

4. The rarity modifiers are added to the base price of the unit. This is already reflected in the prices you see on the purchasing screen.
That´s correct so far, but only for QBs.

If you setup a scenario or operation, the unit costs are base costs. The percentage only indicates the rareness here.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I have also seen infantry HQs sometimes take command of a tank that has lost it's platoon HQ. Often it seems to be one of those independent "section" HQs (2 men) that one uses for heavy weapons. Are these guys radio equipped or somefink? I've never quite figured it out....

In operations? That can happen in operations if a vehicle platoon commander is knocked out in battle one, then the vehicles will be taken over in battle 2 by the nearest HQ, like support weapons.