spotting rounds and barrage

I should probably know this by now, but here goes-

I know that if a spotter can't see the spotting rounds hit, he won't be able to adjust fire accurately. But what if he waits until he can see some of the subsequent rounds in the barrage hit? Will he be able to adjust fire accurately after that?

Perhaps I am suppressing a memory of seeing that the answer is "no", in some other post.

Treeburst155 wrote an excellent analysis on how arty works in Combat Mission. IIRC his overall and most important point was, that the FOs ability to watch the spotting rounds made no difference at all. The only factor for a barrage to be accurate was wether the target itself was visible to him(check with LOS-tool). Whenever a spotting round(in fact the first spotting round)is fired, the strike will be accurate. This only happens when the FO has LOS to the targetarea(not to where the spottinground falls).

Here

is the corresponding thread.

I hope it was clear: the FO must have LOS to the TARGET when the SPOTTING ROUND falls (irrespective of where it falls).

I know that this is what Descher meant, I'm just not sure if it was 100% clear smile.gif

(The most useful aspect of this discovery is that the FO does _not_ have to have LOS at the time that the barrage is called. He only has to get into LOS by the time the spotting rounds come. Useing this knowledge (ordering a strike on an unspotted area, then spotting it) was coined as a "Wicky Strike" because I think it was Wicky who first accurately described it)

GaJ

Here's yet another wrinkle.

It appears that if the spotter targets a bridge and has LOS to the bridge's roadway but NOT to the terrain UNDER the bridge, the firing of the spotting round is treated as unobserved.

That's the only reason I can figure to explain a very important and long-awaited fire mission going astray just now.

Dammit.

• 3 weeks later...

GreenAsJade,

Sounds reasonable, just like you'd expect that the FO has to be able to see both the target and where the spotting round falls relative to it, but Treeburst155's CM Artillery Synopsis is quite clear.

The critical LOS computation, upon which all depends, is made NOT at spotting round impact, but at the time the first spotting round is fired. If LOS exists then, then the strike will be on target.

If not, it'll miss. Thus, your statements are incorrect as written. Would love to know why such a bizarre approach to modeling the FO function was used.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...