ROW III - The Boots & Tracks CMBB Tourney (Part 2)

Screw cheaters, let us just continue as it was.

As far as I am concerned, most of my games are far enough along already that there are few surprises about enemy forces. I also don't rate any of my setup zones as critically secret.

Of course, I don't want any of my opponents to see this stuff, but in my opinion, the risk of cheaters ruining a game is pretty low. Even more so because in my experience cheaters are usually bad enough players that they cannot turn the knowledge into victory anyway.

I want to continue this tournament, and as a counting tournament. No change. No fear.

EDIT: In any case, a compromise of battle plans here and there is only adding to the reaslism.

[ January 26, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps all should calm down a bit. Based upon what I understand to be the cause of the 'leak', no more than a 2-3 ROW3 players can have gotten the files, and those by mistake only. Why not contact those people, make sure they do not divulge any info or, for that matter even look at the files, and drive on down the road.

We are all adults here; no reason to ruin the experience for dozens of players because of a limited incident.

jw

If Treeburst wants to wash his hands of the whole thing I will volunteer to keep it running to the end.

As Jefe' said, this is most likely just a minor bump in the road and I'm sure those involved will be honorable and keep what they have to themselves. The fact that they came forward already shows this, and I don't feel FOW is threatened to the point that the tourny needs to be scrapped.

Harv

Ok, time I weigh in here...

First off, I would like to apologize for any inconvinences and would ask that you bear with me until I get this all sorted out. What happened was an honest mistake and as stated earlier is not so serious that the tourney needs to come a sceeching halt. I just need a little time to sort things out.

What does this mean to you? Nothing. Enjoy the scenarios, enjoy the competion, please continue writing those AARs and most of all please observe the FOW blackout. In other words, continue as normal.

In the meantime I will contact Treeburst, Winecape and others to work out a solution. I will keep you all updated of any changes.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to bow out or would like to discuss anything.

Thank you,

Sergio

P.S. ROW III overflow participants: I haven't forgotten about you. I need to contact Treeburst about a few things so please bear with me. Hopefully we can get you up and running shortly.

This is what I posted in the other thread.

Blame this one on me guys...a total screw up on my part. At the Chicago get together, I gave people a copy of the scenario folder so they would have the new scenarios I made. I didn't know I had some from testing from other authors that were to be used in the tourney, or I would certainly not given them out. I slipped once and as Nidan knows, i specifically ask if in a tourney so I do NOT send out the files. There were only 4 CDs given out, and I don't know if any of the guys are in the tourney, other then one person who realized it right away and came forward.

I apologized to Treeburst already...and to those here now. I honestly didn't know those scenarios were on there. So, the couple people promise not to look at the CDs, I think you are in good shape. I know the person who caught it did not look at the scenarios.

Again, many apologies...I just didn't realize it.

Rune

As my atonement for my slip up, I add to the winner's plate...a 6 DVD set of BOB to be shipped to your address. Lord Dragon and Spanish Bombs fortuantely figured it out, and the other 2 don't play in the tourneys...so if you want to continue and I hope you trust the two of them not to look at the cd, I add the above to the winner's pot.

Rune

I think that everyone in my section is pretty well along in their games that there can't be much of a loss of FOW. I say we keep the tourny going regardless of what might have happened.

After reading a bit further, it seems that tany damage done is minor and well containted. I don't think there is really any breech of FOW. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to continue on.

[ January 26, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Enoch ]

I believe my section is going to continue to play on anyway. I can vouch for Rune, he specifically asked me if I was involved in any tournaments before he would send me some of his new work. I believe that this is not as serious as I first thought, I think we should try to salvage this great tournament guys, let's keep plugging along.

I really don't think we need to end the tourney, either. I've finished two games as of yesterday and am quite well along in the others, to the point where more info on the opposing forces setup would likely not compromise much of anything.

Moreover, it sounds like Rune, Spanish Bombs, et al, acted promptly and honorably to limit the damage, if any...

I'm guessing that TB will come around in the end, but if not, so be it. In any case, let's just keep playing the games. That's what I'm here for. Tourney prizes and rankings are essentially insignificant to me and I'm still in the midst of some hot battles. So let's play on. Anyway, that's what I intend to do....

My section should not be any problem. We all have played each other before and I think we're all pretty much of the same mind about tournament play - good, hard competition for the sake of enjoyment. None in my section seem to be anything but honorable, honest players. Let's keep going and not worry about this.

we should continue, I have already finished one and have another about to finish. the other 3 are all well on the way.

with all this latest from those concerned has Treeburst any other thoughts?

it seems a real shame to end it like this for a very minor and of limited inportance breach of FOW

if there had been a deliberate breach that would be another matter

but I think we are all satisfied there is no skullduggery here.

lets continue and beat Rune to a pulp later ;)

My take: play on and enjoy these excellent scenarios. The tourney aspects don't seem compromised beyond repair and the battles are great fun on their own. Would you walk out on a good CM fight if you were playing it with a pal? Nah.

No loss of enthusiasm here. Sounds like an accident and that sort of thing happens. To everyone. Even if FOW were compromised, I'm sure that the vast bulk of ROW III competitors wouldn't be interested in trying to milk advantage by cheating. What sense of accomplishment there?

Let's get on with it and have fun.

[ January 26, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Mick_Oz ]

Treeburst, we need some sort of official decision or even vote from the players. WHy don't you send a mass email to all participants, let us respond (by, say, Tuesday at 6:00 a.m. CST) with a "yes" or "no" on continuing the tournament, and then abide by those reports? It would seem only fair to allow us, the players, the opportunity to express an opinion on continuing the tournament since we are the ones most directly affected by the release. It would certainly be fairer than a unilateral decision based on what thus far appears to be a very minor issue.

Frankly, though I am getting beat on in at least two of the scenarios, I am in favor of finishing.

Finally, the final decision should not only be posted here, but should be sent to all participants via email, since some of us don't check this thread on anything like a regular basis (like me -- I haven't checked this thread in several days, and am only here now because Mikeydz told me the tourney was cancelled).

Steve

My instincts tell me that Treeburst will be back once has had time to think the situation through and realize how much effort other people, including players and scenario designers, for instance, have invested in the tourney, and also how little the FOW has actually been compromised.

But let's give TB some time to sort out his thoughts and feelings before we demand action. In the meantime, let's just keep playing. I have the feeling this will all be happily resolved within 48 hours. ;)

[ January 26, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

:rolleyes:

Hmmmm,

I do hope the problem is not a serious one and I have a small confession to make so that this is kept above board.

Rune sent myself a copy of a certain scenario which I will not name as it will give away who designed it, and hence spoil the FOW.

He did so in an honest mistake and I do not blame him one jot.

Now this was at the time the tourney was starting and I have not opened any of the games he sent me. Including the scenario in the tourney.

I repeat I have not looked, peeked, done anything with it.

Upon realising what I had I sent an e-mail to TB and Rune explaining what I had and that I had not opened it. I offered at that point to step out of the tourney.

TB and Rune trusted my word and I continued.

Now I know people don't know squat about me and all you have is my typed word but I have not touched the game and it is not in my nature to open it. (In fact I removed it from my hard disk.)

I am happy to do as is agreed by TB, Winecape and whoever.

I am a good player and I do not need to cheat to do well and I hope if I am allowed to continue the games that my ability shines through. Except against that damn Cpl who has my number and will no doubt do far better than me.

;)

I think the tourney should continue and if any other tourney player has the scenario, and I think it is only one thne could they let TB and KF know.

Also could TB and KF assess the scenario and see if it could skew the results if either side knew the others starting forces etc?

I seem to remember the tourney always needs a bit of a crisis every now and then to make it interesting so lets hope it can be resolved.

If other people have the scenario it would not bother me if the scenario was a balanced affair.

Another option is to pull the scenario as I am guessing only one is affected?

:(

H

P.S. Cpl I have still not done your set up as I have spent the weekend doing DIY and getting the new study sorted. Sorry.

P.P.S Off to bed and I am hoping this will be sorted when I check in the morning.

[ January 26, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

The news that Treeburst wants to quit because the tournament has been compromised doesn't supprise me. I would expect no less from him.

His decision shows his integrity and how seriously he takes this. We're lucky to have him.

Hey man, no one here's quitin' and we don't want you to either! We're still havin' fun. Stick with us.