Dear God, how maddening is it when....

An easy shot is missed...pretty broad generalization I recognize.

Was playing the CMBB Op Mobile Defence...had the 75mm (veteran as I recall) keyholed such that it would shoot down mainstreat, he was in scattered trees at a bend in the road.

Set up the cover armour arc for 100yds. T34 comes down the middle of street right in front of the gun. *Grins*

BLAM!!! Miss....reload....BLAM...Miss.

T34 fires one round of HE and the crew abandons the gun.

WTF? I cry. Can't imagine how he missed...

Same scenerio, I've got a crack P4J hidden behind a woods as another T34 drives past. P4J is 120yds away and fires a broadside round, then another, then another, finally gets a partial penetration. T34 traverses and WHAM! Kills the P4.

Same TURN, a pzrschrk hidden in scattered trees pops up 18 yds from a half-track and misses. ???

I admit it...I quit the scenerio and started again. It was just too much to take. heheh.

I was playing CMBB a couple hours ago and 4 rounds were missed at 250m by a reg 76.2mm AT gun crew firing at a PSW223, all went over the top of him or into the ground before him, then he causally drove off not to be seen again. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I played Mobile Defense awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I do know exactly what you are talking about. I actually had something very similar happen, with on of my P4s being cooked on the last turn of the first battle after missing a shot from some 60m away. I think the real issue in that particular case though is the inadequacy of the Pz.IV's armor. While the 75 L/48 is fairly well matched vs. the T-34s in the operation, if you get in any type of engagement involving return fire, expect to die.

Either way, don't feel too badly as the Pz IVs aren't as useful later on. Do what you can to cause massive damage up front, and then rely on the King Tigers you get as reinforcements to carry the battle on from there.

Piffle and pshaw - my Conscript ATR team did it without firing a shot...and they were Jagdtigers...at 10 km...at night...in a blizzard...and it was uphill both ways.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

I just had a green 6 pdr take out a platoon of crack Panthers from 3460 meters away, all with one shot.

You guys must suck, or something.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Piffle and pshaw - my Conscript ATR team did it without firing a shot...and they were Jagdtigers...at 10 km...at night...in a blizzard...and it was uphill both ways.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

I just had a green 6 pdr take out a platoon of crack Panthers from 3460 meters away, all with one shot.

You guys must suck, or something.

</font>

These stories are nothing compared to mine. I once had a Tiger in a little urban combat and targeted a Sherman at close range. The Tiger's 88 inexplicably did no damage to the Sherman whereas the little pipsqueak Sherman fired its shell and scored a -front pentration- on the Tiger and -killed it-.

They had to pick my jaw up off the floor after that.