Mapping Mission 1.0 released

this Mapping Mission tool sounds so AWESOME I may have to get a PC to play with it. This is not an easy thing to say because I am a die hard Mac fanatic, BUT this App combined with no OSX support forCMBO or CMBB suggests my Mac obession is getting in the way of playing new games (Hearts of Iron) and checking out GREAT fan developed apps like CMMOS and Mapping Mission.

:(

I hear PC's are cheaper than Macs ;) maybe I should start shopping around?

-tom w

[ January 19, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as I noted, there are a few bugs still in the software. One to watch out for: the selected CM editor resolution is not properly restored from the prefs file when Mapping Mission starts up. Although the menu looks like the proper resolution is selected, the resolution will actually be set for 1280x1024. Be sure to manually set the resolution before exporting.

A new version fixing this problem is forthcoming. Also, I have improved the handling of linear feature (road, wall, etc.) intersections. I think it's more likely to select the proper intersection tile now.

I have occasionally been seeing some problems with exporting maps in which most of the terrain exports properly but some of the tiles don't get set. I think this is a timing/event queue issue and am looking in to it. If anyone else is seeing this sort of thing (particularly with larger maps) I'd be interested to hear about it.

I will post here when the new version is ready.

Great work!

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Hi,

The plan is to be able to place a scan of a topographical map in the window of the Mapping Mission and then simply place tiles on top of it. So you use the topographical map as a guide. With such a feature one could knock out hugely accurate maps of huge areas, and then just Export sections one wished for to a given CMBB game.

Or even one step further:

an interface capable of reading the data format of digitized topographic maps and transforming it into Mapping Mission's native format.

This would allow an almost fully automated map creation process.

Mapping Mission v1.01 is now available for download at the same location as before (I deleted the old archive and replaced it with the new version).

Changes in this version:

* Added "Load Grain From Bitmap File" command.

* Fixed bug that always set CM editor resolution to 1280x1024 at startup regardless of the preferences file setting

* Improved logic for joining linear features like roads and walls. Should be much more intuitive now.

* Increased delays during export to CM editor to improve reliability of export.

* Added "Color Elevation Swath" feature to color-code a 10m swath of elevations (for map fine-tuning).

Originally posted by Schoerner:

Or even one step further:

an interface capable of reading the data format of digitized topographic maps and transforming it into Mapping Mission's native format.

This would allow an almost fully automated map creation process.

The file format is open, so if someone wants to take a crack at this, they are welcome. There are a LOT of different digital map formats out there, though. I would recommend identifying a useful (and freely distributable) archive of digital data before embarking on such an effort.

Note that a raster-scanned format (like ADRG or CADRG) probably won't be much use, since they are typically just scanned images, and the colors are too variable to be able to rely on doing a terrain type translation that way. Vector formats like ITD, DFAD and VPF have more promise (and DTED would be ideal for elevations, assuming you can get coverage of the area you're interested in).

Leland, if only the old Defense Mapping Agency could have hired you instead of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on computer-driven mapping systems that didn't work this well. Seeing the acronyms DFAD and DTED sure brought back memories. This is outstanding work! Congratulations. :cool:

Originally posted by Dave H:

Leland, if only the old Defense Mapping Agency could have hired you instead of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on computer-driven mapping systems that didn't work this well. Seeing the acronyms DFAD and DTED sure brought back memories.

Heh, I've had to use some of those systems; that's why I've got ideas on how to make them better. ;)

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

BUT this App combined with no OSX support forCMBO or CMBB suggests my Mac obession is getting in the way of playing new games (Hearts of Iron)

Hearts of Iron is coming to the Mac...

Anyway, I'm looking forwardto playing with a Mac version of this. I wish I had the time these days to help with the programming. It's an amazing idea...

Ben

Quick status update: version 1.02 is being tested now; it fixes a couple of minor bugs and tweaks the elevation swath coloring feature added in 1.01. The significant new feature is that if you hold the control key down while clicking "non-linear" terrain features on the map, it will clear any road, rubble or burning status away (sort of a bulldoze-before-you-place-terrain mode). I probably won't put 1.02 out there for a day or two, to see if any other glitches come to light first.

On the Mac front, I have started tinkering to refresh my memory of Mac development. It looks like the APIs I need to do the exporting aren't supported by Carbon, so Mapping Mission won't be Carbon. But since CM doesn't run under X anyway, that shouldn't be a big problem. Timeline is "when it's done" -- I'd like to have something working in a few weeks, but that's probably a best-case estimate.

Let's see... I can dig into my old VistaPro app folder for a program that converts DEM files to BMP height maps, and scout around for a few good satellite/DEMs to turn actual Russian terrain into a BMP. Then I can import the BMP into

Mapping Mission, and finally out to CMBB! Whew.

Wait a sec... I think I can also export VistaPro landscapes as BMP files directly. Hmmm. But are there any suitable DEM files online to start with? I don't think VP comes with any files for areas outside the USA (aside from Mars).

Anyone had any experience with VistaPro and DEM files to generate suitable terrain maps of the region?

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

On the Mac front, I have started tinkering to refresh my memory of Mac development. It looks like the APIs I need to do the exporting aren't supported by Carbon, so Mapping Mission won't be Carbon. But since CM doesn't run under X anyway, that shouldn't be a big problem. Timeline is "when it's done" -- I'd like to have something working in a few weeks, but that's probably a best-case estimate.

Great !!!!

Now for CMMOS

think you might take a crack at porting that to the Mac?

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Quick status update: version 1.02 is being tested now; it fixes a couple of minor bugs and tweaks the elevation swath coloring feature added in 1.01. The significant new feature is that if you hold the control key down while clicking "non-linear" terrain features on the map, it will clear any road, rubble or burning status away (sort of a bulldoze-before-you-place-terrain mode). I probably won't put 1.02 out there for a day or two, to see if any other glitches come to light first.

Another w00t! :D

So does this mean that a campaign game module is possible? (With a lot of hard work and brilliant programming, of course.)

Because if you can script the mouse and keystrokes to create maps in the CMBB interface from an external file that represents a larger map...

couldn't you also...

script the mouse and keystrokes in the CMBB interface to create setup zones on those maps, script the mouse and keystrokes about what forces to put where, script the mouse and keystorkes to set the casualty levels and ammo levels...and stuff like that?

Just a thought.

Heck, I'd pay for that...

[ January 21, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: L4Pilot ]

I'll probably throw 1.02 out there Wednesday night or Thursday. I added keyboard shortcuts for some menu commands and for many of the tools in the palette. Also a "compatibility mode" to slow down the export procedure and make it more reliable (especially with slower computers and lower screen resolutions).

As far as the "campaign module" goes -- most of that is possible (actually placing units at particular spots would be _very_ difficult to program), but it's not something I'm likely to tackle CMMC2 has human GMs to do that sort of thing. In future I might add a few features like a LOS checker to help support a human-run campaign.

I don't know anything about digital mapping, but I came across the following link, which seems to have extensive DTED date for Russia (and many other countries):

http://geoengine.nima.mil/

Click on the "Find" tab to do a geographic search. Seems to be free to download, but I did not actually try it.

Maybe you map guys already know about this site, but just wanted to toss it out there.

76mm

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Hmm, can't get any elevations at all to export, though the terrain does well enough. Anyone else having this problem?

I think this is an issue for people with non-US keyboards. The key-code I'm using for the plus/minus keys to change the elevation in CMBB is wrong for some key layouts. I have a fix in 1.03 that will hopefully fix this problem.

Originally posted by 76mm:

I don't know anything about digital mapping,

76mm

Looks promising. I have to say I have downloaded and played with the Mapping Mission an it is truly awesome. NOW if I can figure out how to get my topo maps or some of those online downloadable maps imported without major work I would be in heaven :D