Captured Lend-Lease equipment on the Ostfront

Hi. I was reading an account of the German offensive on Stalingrad. One passage mentions the Germans capturing a train loaded with lend lease equipment. It goes on to say that the German's loved the American JEEP and considered it far superior to their own Kübelwagen.

I checked CMBB and noticed that the only captured equipment the Germans have access to are Soviet made tanks. I know that the Soviets prefered their own armor to American/British Lend Lease equipment, but they loved the Jeep and the 2.5 ton trucks.

Considering that the Soviets received over 200,000 2.5 Ton trucks and 78,000 Jeeps, I would imagine the Germans would have had a number of opportunities to capture them.

So, I assume BF.C did not add them to the German unit list because of rarity? Since the info is already in the game, it would have been pretty cool to have the Germans have access to the Jeep at high cost.

I know there will be no more patches, but maybe something to keep in mind should Cmx2 head back to the Ostfront.

Jeep and truck numbers lifted from this website:

http://www.feldgrau.com/econo.html

Originally posted by V:

So, I assume BF.C did not add them to the German unit list because of rarity?

Hm. I would guess rarity and lack of direct relevance to CMBB. Why spend all that time coding it in when use of captured jeeps and trucks have no real impact on game play?

Remember all those discussions about horses and motorcycles?

However, that reminds me of something I read about the Ardennes offensive (I know--wrong front). The Germans used captured US jeeps in some areas during the initial assault (or maybe it was those special units disguised as US soldiers), but anyway, the Ames were immediately suspicious because the Germans sat four to a jeep--4 seats--4 soldiers--makes sense I guess. The Americans rarely if ever sat more than two to a jeep simply because they had so much transport available. That doesn't really relate to your comment, but I thought it was interesting.

OH yeah. I also remember reading that the checkpoint G.I.'s noticed that the "American" officers were sitting in the back seat of the jeep. American officers NEVER sat in the back of the jeeps. Front right passenger seat being the prime spot for officers. The Germans didn't know this of course (as all their officers always sat in the back, generally). (I'm guessing.)

"Take 'em down, boys!"

Budda budda budda BAM BAM BAM (k-ching!)

Gpig

P.S. Sorry, helping to pull this thread farther off topic. (Bad Gpig!)

Originally posted by Gpig:

OH yeah. I also remember reading that the checkpoint G.I.'s noticed that the "American" officers were sitting in the back seat of the jeep. American officers NEVER sat in the back of the jeeps.

In some CASES this may look a little strange, such as when you are looking for enemy spy's but, typicaly everone including Americans sat wherever there was space, (often the front pasenger seat) if it was available.

[ March 22, 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: beholders ]

Originally posted by V:

So, I assume BF.C did not add them to the German unit list because of rarity? Since the info is already in the game, it would have been pretty cool to have the Germans have access to the Jeep at high cost.

Of course in reality Germans had a horde of types of trucks and command cars. But is there any point in modelling every Peugeot and Fiat and Benz separately?

More to the point, how often was it actually that Jeep was used by Germans in the front? Unlike some seem to think, automobiles were very valuable for Germans and Russians alike, and they were mostly kept out of the sights of enemy weapons.

Originally posted by pavlov:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by V:

So, I assume BF.C did not add them to the German unit list because of rarity?

Hm. I would guess rarity and lack of direct relevance to CMBB. Why spend all that time coding it in when use of captured jeeps and trucks have no real impact on game play?

Remember all those discussions about horses and motorcycles?

However, that reminds me of something I read about the Ardennes offensive (I know--wrong front). The Germans used captured US jeeps in some areas during the initial assault (or maybe it was those special units disguised as US soldiers), but anyway, the Ames were immediately suspicious because the Germans sat four to a jeep--4 seats--4 soldiers--makes sense I guess. The Americans rarely if ever sat more than two to a jeep simply because they had so much transport available. That doesn't really relate to your comment, but I thought it was interesting. </font>

Originally posted by V:

I understand the reasons you put forth. But, the Jeep is already coded into the game, doesn't seem to difficult to just make a German "skin" for it and place it in the German inventory at high price.

Nooooo!

The "I assume it's quite easy" error.

AFAICT, the CMX1 engine needs to have the AI told what to do with each vehicle, in relation to friendly and hostile vehicles and units.

Copy-pasting chunks of code is a great way to end up with random errors.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by V:

I understand the reasons you put forth. But, the Jeep is already coded into the game, doesn't seem to difficult to just make a German "skin" for it and place it in the German inventory at high price.

Nooooo!

The "I assume it's quite easy" error.

AFAICT, the CMX1 engine needs to have the AI told what to do with each vehicle, in relation to friendly and hostile vehicles and units.

Copy-pasting chunks of code is a great way to end up with random errors. </font>

The jeep was popular with nearly everyone but it would suck down gas. Especially off road. The KW was not that bad in the mpg (or kilometers per liter) dept.

Any captured equip will have a short shelf life. Parts being the common cause of abandonment. Best to group all captured types together if you can.

Originally posted by Wartgamer:

Any captured equip will have a short shelf life. Parts being the common cause of abandonment. Best to group all captured types together if you can.

And the passengers in captured equipment risk their lifes, too. It is tough enough to prevent a captured T34 getting shoot up by friendlies. Part of the job is done by grouping them in separate btns, having lots other friendlies around them and informing the neighboring units. Just so you can warn nervous or trigger happy people. You can't do that for every lone truck or jeep in the German rear.

Gruß

Joachim