Russian Training Scenario 110

Cuirassier:

I'm sure you've probably ready to move on from this one, but if you really want to fully test your approach, try playing it hot seat solitaire. Don't bother to give the MG any orders. This approach is closest to playing against a human, in that it pretty much eliminates any Stupid AI Tricks that may be working to your favor. I think there is a stupid AI trick involved, although I do not understand it very well. But I noticed at one point that using the Fast command to move close to the MG as quickly as possible seemed to work pretty well with this green platoon. I think this is not too far off what you were doing. Yet, it should not have worked so well, and I found that the method blew up when I tried it hot seat solitaire. But you may have found a solution and it would be good to know if that's true.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me several times. The key was to use the folowing concept. Fire, fix and flank.

I split one squad into two and advanced them up the road. Each went into a house and fired on the mg when it presented itself.

I then advanced the other troops up the far left of the map. I sent one of those squads into the woods and fired on the mg.

I sent the rest of the units to the woods to the left of the mg and eventually behind the mg as I would use a unit and fire with him and move the others. The MG was fixed and ducking with lead coming from all angles.

I then sent the commander and remaining squads behind the mg. There is good terrain to do that. They can cross the fence at bottom of hill and can't be targetted.

After turn 14:

I now had half a squad in the woods behind the mg. 2 half squads in houses in front of him. One squad in woods in front. The rest and the commander are now behind him at bottom of hill.

I now simultaneously advanced the troops in the houses and the troops behind him to the mg. fire was maintained with troops in the woods in front and behind. The mg surrendered with minimal loss to my troops.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried 110 half a dozen times, failing every time with routed troops. Then i found out about the >26m distance between squads. Once i followed that, i was able to take the platoon right up the open area where the wooden fence is.

So, for all the people who are using short bounds with overwatch, keeping squads in comm/control, but are ~still~ failing: check your squad spacings. That was the key factor for me.

• 5 months later...

Cuirassier.

Good idea to start a thread specific to each scenario. May I suggest you add a high level screen shot to the opening post with a number of location markers on it. That way when people post they can say "my 2nd squad went over by the trees (marker "A") to fire at the MG. It would make it easier to read the AAR.

After Action Report

I suceeded on my 4th attempt at this.

Attempt 1: When straight for the flag. I figured that one or two squads would be pinned but with Five targets I'm bound to get though. All five squads paniced and routed before I reached the fence. Game over.

Attempts 2 & 3: This time my squads went to the left. Two squads move, two squads on over watch. Although I fared much better I did not bring enough firepower to suppress the MG and any squad which broke cover was routed. Game Over.

Attempt 4: Lessons learnt from above. Only move one squad. Maximum firepower at target. Read Tips & Tricks section of forum.

I went straight for the flag again but this time I set up a firebase in the two buildings. The two remaining squad and the HQ sneaked towards the fence.

As soon as the MG fired it was spotted which allowed the firebase to return fire. Although I suffed some problems I was able to keep the assault team sneaking to the fence. I then had them fire at the MG as well.

With four squads firing the MG ducked, I now advanced one squad into a creater, although he was fired at he was at the best cover around so remained in position. When he recovered and started to fire I advanced my other squad into a crater.

With all this incoming fire and two squads very near by the MG unit surrendered. Turn 18 Game over.

Cheers JTF

Ah, good work JT Fox in beating the orginal scenario. (I presume anyway)

However, the scenario (all the 100 and 200 series actually), have a strange flaw in them. The map ownership for the sides is reversed, and thus the AI units face themselves the wrong way, and don't react until you are very close.

When this problem is fixed, you will learn as most of us have, that 110 is impossible, because the MG opens up from turn 1 and simply routs squads 1 by 1.

And btw, I have noted your comments about my poor ability in making AARs. My future ones will not be so dry.

Originally posted by Cuirassier:

And btw, I have noted your comments about my poor ability in making AARs. My future ones will not be so dry.

Not ment a as comment on your AAR but as service to those who follow the original post.

I have tried to limit my reading of threads and post on these scenario to avoid been to the answers before I have learnt them myself, I will have a look at the scenario in the editor and turn the MG around.

Cheers JTF

Low ammo for him, poor morale state for you.

Each side has a readiness level, based on global morale and average ammo state. When it gets below a certain level, your "ceasefire" button is involuntarily depressed, meaning the fight ends if the other side wants to end it. Your force is deemed unwilling to continue to press the issue in its current state.

When this happens to both sides, a ceasefire occurs.

Incidentally, if you find the assignment too tough, just bump the platoon HQ to +1 morale command and combat, or the men to regulars, or both. You will still learn the lessons that way.