Tutoring newbies

I have had the luck to follow the discussions in this forum as most tactics, strengths and flaws has been discussed. For the newbies (yes, they seem to keep comming) the amount of information to aquire must seem impossible, so how about organizing a tutor-corps?

I nowhere near a perfect player myself, but I know most of the thoery of the game today (and what happen to theory when it is hit by reality), and I wouldn't mind helping newcommers across the first problems.

So what I have in mind is two ideas:

1) The newbie starts a game vs the computer and plot orders, saves the game and email it to his/hers tutor. The tutor can then comment and/or chance orders, saves the game and mails it back to the newbie. The newbie can now decide what to keep and change, executes the turn, plots new orders and mail it back to the tutor etc.

2) The same as above, but happening in a forum (MZO would be my choice) with screenshots and ideas from third parties, but where the official tutor has the obligation to answer fast. This way the newbie exposes 'beginners errors', and that way help the experienced players to focus on those.

I know that you can learn a lot by doing PBEM against friendly players, but I could be worth a try to play on the same side against the computer.

There might be a problem with the inability for the tutor to watch the turns, but this could still be interesting to try.

I volunteer for being tutor; - but only for one 'apprentice' since I'm playing 3 PBEM already.

This is a fine idea, and I for one would be willing to do it. Particularly for CMBB. If anyone not entirely a newbie is interested in a guided tour of the capabilities of the various Russian force types, that is also something I am interested in doing (as a kind of strategy guide to fighting with the Russians in CMBB), and this might be a way to impliment it.

Hi,

A stunning idea!

I would be a most gratefull apprentice if any of you fine gents would have me.

I have been introduced to CM recently (2 months ago) and would love to get involved in the multiplayer flavor. I have played one PBEM and a few MP's via the opponent finder chat system but it is a hit and miss affair smile.gif

If I pass the school of Askovdk smile.gif I would gladly repay the favour to a new graduate also.

A fine idea indeed and I hope it takes hold!

As a newbie, I would be totally into idea #1, but I don't know if I would have time for screen shots, etc for #2. That being said, I would definitely follow a thread done by someone else doing #2. At the moment, all I can really do is CMBO (It's the only one that will run on my laptop and I am out and about too much to play the others)

Ing

Having purchased CMBO and CMBB "recently" (about 6 months ago) I'm enjoying the products immensely. I would be very happy to get advice and help from the "veterans". I haven't gotten much past the scenarios included with the games, but try to play as often as I can.

Perhaps some suggested QB settings could be posted and AAR type forum entries for those battles could be discussed...?

http://forums.mzocentral.net//index.php?showforum=120

The MZO comparative battles is a great insight into various "generals" thoughts on how to do the same battle. You can play the battle first to see how you do .....

The site is very down on what it used to be but those comparative battles and the graphics put up by POS showing sighting distances etc are very very useful for noobies.

Off hand I think I only played the first or second of the comparative battles and I know some posted some very detailed rationales to whichever one I posted on : )

I have been playing pretty much since CMBO came out but still found the site worthwhile to go to.

Mentoring / tutoring is a good idea.

I've only been playing CMBB for the last two months, and for the first three games was guided by a friend who has played for a couple of years. Each turn I explained what I was trying to do, and he made a one or two comments - sometimes operational (e.g. reminding me to set cover armour arcs for A/T guns, not cover arcs), sometimes tactical (e.g. outlining common infantry / MG tactics in village defense). He didn't change my moves, and was prepared to let me make some newbie mistakes.

I found it easier to absorb a couple of pieces of relavent information per turn, rather than trying to remember all the information from the manual and various FAQs.

• 1 month later...

tutoring newbies , sounds like a good idea.

i did play a few hotseat games with a freind who had no clue ,, i got to see him make classic mistakes ,, and he got to see how i beat him,,

but to tutor someone via the web??? that sounds great, maybe i should try getting some truely good players to tutor me ,,, (yes i am a mediocre commander),

Jason, I'd love a tutored game...and I would highly suggest that we do it via Skype, a free VOIP program that is almost phone quality (assuming enough computer hp).

I play Advanced Squad Leader via VASL using skype...it's almost as good as face to face. I took a short CMBO break with a buddy the other night...his wife came down and told him to be quiet, as we were both hooting and screaming at our men as they didn't do what we wanted, and died for it. It was quite comical, really.

All you need to use it is a headset and mic...and you *can* run the sound through your computer speakers, if you want. While not ideal, it would reduce the cost, although a decent mic/headset combo is under $20. Trust me, the first time you use it, you'll consider it a good investment.

Skype supports up to 4 people, although I don't think CM lets more than one 2 people play a LAN/internet game.

There are similar programs around that support more people, like Teamspeak, and the sound is almost as good as Skype.

EDIT...I just now read walpurgis nacht's post...great minds think alike hehe.

• 4 weeks later...

After some consideration, I would like to play a tutored game, if someone is willing to do so. I really want to improve my tactical skill, especially after playing the AI yesterday and losing an entire platoon of Panzer III's do to poor handling. If Walpurgis Nacht or JasonC is interested, I can be emailed at ryan_12_d@yahoo.ca

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Just an idea: this could be a very busy service. So how about some small scale low number of turns assessment scenarios? This could target the tutoring to areas, like: infantry, armour, arty, combined arms. And it could also gatekeep to target the service to most needy.

Also someone else could do the assessing- giving the tutors more time?

Hi,

OK people. I'm not going to lie to you. I'm really terrible :cool: . Sooo, in conclusion, I like this idea. How do I get involved? It doesn't even have to be in the format of the tutoring suggested in this thread. Just some friendly soul to take me under their wing.

Where do I sign?

Gareth smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I started playing CMBB recently and I've had my first successful moments when I won my first two szenarios against the AI (which is not THAT bad if you are a novice).

Unfortunatley most of the time I get a really awful bashing. So I'd veeeery much appreciate, if one of you grogs could tutor me a bit.

I could also put the scenario files, some screenshots, and the comments online so other noobs can profit from my mistakes - hehe.

I own all 3 CM titles, but personally I'd prefer CMBB (which I am a LITTLE bit used to) or CMBO (which seems to have the fewest unit types).

Bye ... ollo