Penalties for splitting squads

Guest Sgt. Emren

Guest Sgt. Emren

Splitting whole squads into half squads has some advantages and drawbacks. One advantage is that a mixed squad (you know, rifles, SMG's, LMG, grenades) split into a fire team and an assault team. This is truly great, and makes the half squads' (and the combined squads' for that matter)work easier to define by the player. Another advantage is that a single squad can now target TWO targets at the same time, albeit with lesser firepower on the two individual targets. Furthermore, presenting two half squads to your enemy means that if he has only one squad, then he can only target one of your half squads, and only pinning one at a time - while you have one un-targetted half squad available. It doesn't take a genious to figure out who will win that firefight (or does it? :D ).

So what are the drawbacks? Well, a temporary drop in global morale until the half squads are joined again seems to be it. Any other penalties (or beneifts) that anyone know of?

Furthermore, presenting two half squads to your enemy means that if he has only one squad, then he can only target one of your half squads, and only pinning one at a time - while you have one un-targetted half squad available.
I have found this not to be true, at least in the short-term. They're close enough together that area suppression on the non-targeted team is still effective (sometimes I'll see three units duck for cover at the same instant, presumably due to the same shot). Sure, if you move them apart it helps with the return fire, but two half squads next to each other don't seem significantly less vulnerable than one full squad.

You're right, placing two half squads right next to each other is a dumb idea. Cut it out. ;)

Another possible advantage is that if the badguys aren't close enough for a positive ID, it can look like you have twice as many troops as you really have.

Another one, if the enemy is at long range you can let the LMG team shoot and have the rifle team hold fire. That way you waste less ammo. An actual HMG team is probably a better idea but sometimes you have to improvise.

Originally posted by Sgt. Emren:

Furthermore, presenting two half squads to your enemy means that if he has only one squad, then he can only target one of your half squads, and only pinning one at a time - while you have one un-targetted half squad available.

Well, not quite. Half squads have lower morale, so they pin easier. Meaning that the enemy can quickly pin the one half-squad, then switch target and pin the other. Due to the lower firepower, the initially untargeted half-squad will have less chance of achieving a pin of the enemy unit.

Of course, if you have widely separated your two half-squads, then the added effect of fire from different directions might help you.

In CMBO, if the battle ended with squads still split in half, you wind up losing points for the "b" team as if they were killed... the same reason why your global morale dropped... b/c it's as if they were killed. AFAIK, this wasn't changed for CMBB... so don't end the battle w/ squads still split!!

It doesn't take a genious to figure out who will win that firefight (or does it? ).

I think the one with splitted squads will loose. As already said splitting a squad affects the moral of both half squads. This means not only that you can pin them easier but make them panicked or even routed very fast. In close combat a half squad panics very fast. Of cause the other half squad shoots at the enemy unit but with reduced firepower which isn't enough to supress anyone. The panicked half squad will run away or hide after some time and then the enemy unit will concentrate on the other half squad. It's like turning a strong man in 2 little boys. They won't harm you and you can beat up one after the other.... To attack with two half squads from different directions could (maybe) bring back some balance but then you've probably lost the command bonus. The only reason, for me, to split squads is, as Eric already said, to irritate the opponent or to use them as enemy spotters in woods or buildings.

Originally posted by tar:

I think the global morale and the end of game effect are supposed to be fixed in CMBB 1.03

Nobody ever said the global morale was solved. As far as I know the only thing done in 1.01 and again in 1.03 is that at the game's very end the result is corrected, but during the game run everything is still computed as if the second half of squads is dead. I also seems to be still broken for operations.

Note that this is only about the global morale, the local morale is affected differently.

And of course the second half is not automatically dependent on the first half's current status like another poster claims. From what I figured what happens is that a 6-of-10 men half-squad has morale effects like if they lost 4 men due to combat. Nobody knows for sure, of course.