2 QB Meeting engagement styles...

As junk2drive mentioned we have now finished Jason's ME. It was a close game and a tough slog but most enjoyable. I think there are a few separate issues worth mentioning.

The first one is - it's a great idea. having forces arrive piecemeal really changes the focus of what you're trying to do. Although getting to the flags the fastest with the mostest is advantageous, you don't necessarily want to do this and won't be able to with a German infantry formation against US mechanized forces. It may be more beneficial to have your initial forces cover the approaches to the flags while the later follow-on forces attempt to control them if that is necessary. Of course it may not be necessary to control the flags at all.

The second issue is map design. Because speed and mobility is a big issue it will be important from a game point of view (as distinct to historical simulation) to carefully design the map. If a highly mobile force with a lot of firepower gets into a position where it can see the enemy entry zone it could end up a turkey shoot - especially if forces are arriving mounted in trucks. A related issue is approach routes - to make a game of it there has to be some relatively covered approaches so that the slow side can get to the battlefield in a reasonably intact state.

The third issue is force composition, balance and timing. Say for the sake of agument both sides have armor but on one side, the armor arrives en masse in platoon or greater strength and on the other it arrives in singles with long periods between each unit then the side with mass has an advantage in the armor battle even if the total force strengths are similar.

So there are design issues for these kinds of ME that are less significant for "regular" MEs. One of the other interesting features is that it would make it possible to have more fluid and variable battles. Initially fast recon elements arrive and fight for the ability to provide information to their respective follow-on forces. When the heavier units arrive this information will be very important in the decision of where and how fast they should move to - can they move in relative safety to good positions for interdiction of enemy forces or do they have to participate in the "information" battle.

In summary I think this a great idea. It requires a lot of thoughtful scenario design and balancing but opens up the possibility of fluid, kaleidoscopic and engrossing battles.

Joe