Politeness: giving some slack

You know (and I'm sure I'll bet 'banged' for this :D I don't quite get the immediate slam folks put on what appears to be a 'newbie' or just someone that doesn't visit the boards very often, when they put a post forward that doesn't fit. What's with that? Can't we just say, 'this really needs to go to the 'General' or 'CMBO' or 'Tech Support' or wherever. Instead of jumping all over the person. I bet we beat some folks off this game/forum/ etc. by being alittle too unpatient. And why? Our loss in the long run.

Donan

(p.s. And yes...I can be a 'grognard', but not in this sense)

"A fair number of fledgling commanders are also put off by the snobbery of those hardcore grognards who dominate some newsgroups and seem to spend most of their time arguing...often in the most caustic,intemperate language..about microscopic issues of "realism" with all the narrow-minded fanaticism of medieval clerics."

"Ignore them! They want newbies to think wargames are hermetically difficult like the High Priests of any cult,they nurture their elitist attitude because they like to believe they have achieved a level of superior expertise though years of excoriating study and,one assumes,heroic self-deniel of simple,earthly pleasures."

(William Trotter)

Hell.....I enjoy helping the newbie! And like reading what the "grogs" have to say! :D

Off with ALL of their heads, I say! Newbies and Grogs! Leave the forums to those of us who are too ignorant to be grogs, but who have been around too long to be newbies. Then peace will reign, the lion will lie down with the lamb, and the Cubs and the Red Sox will play each other in the World Series. :D:D

Donan, of course we could and should make new people feel welcome. Being rude on this forum is still being rude.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Got any examples of this?

I'm betting this thread has the potential to get really hot!

I dont post much here...mostly lurk...So am somewhat a "newbie" to the forum.

Here is prime example of what Donan is talking about.

Example

Now for some the kind of response given would run them off for good..Im to stubborn to let someone like that run me off.

Also responses like that have a tendancy to turn into flaming wars as well..Nother reason to be polite about something.

[ August 29, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Erwin Rommel ]

Originally posted by Erwin Rommel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Got any examples of this?

I'm betting this thread has the potential to get really hot!

I dont post much here...mostly lurk...So am somewhat a "newbie" to the forum.

Here is prime example of what Donan is talking about.

Example

Now for some the kind of response given would run them off for good..Im to stubborn to let someone like that run me off.

Also responses like that have a tendancy to turn into flaming wars as well..Nother reason to be polite about something. </font>

I think this topic should be in the general forum itself. MOM!

No, all kidding aside I totally agreed that there is never a reason to be rude. Like your momma told you or should have anyway "If you can't say something nice then shut your damn stupid mouth up" or something to that effect. Anyway continuing on, I also looked at the post that was supposed to give us an example and while it wasn't really bad it would have made one feel that he was stupid for posting and that probably made him feel bad. The dumdum part was uncalled for in my opinion but it was very mild and Michael should be allowed to get off with just a warning this time. Next time we go to his house and beat the crap out of him.

If anyone is still interested in seeing a REALLY good example of silliness, I have one you will all love. It's the one that finally got me to take part in this little 3-ring circus. Not so much that it's nasty, but that it's so blown out of proportion. Take a look at the post called "I just sent this e-mail to the CMBO people" in the CMBO forum. It starts out all harmless like, but jump to the middle and see what happens. Sorry, I have no idea how to insert a link. Fortunately, this post appears on the first or second page of the forum.

Originally posted by THumpre:

Am I missing something? I checked the link and it sure didn't look to hostile to me. The thread mentioned needed to be in the General Forum, Michael told him so. He didn't call him a pillock or a fecking nOOb bastich or anything...

Besides, Emrys is entitled to be rude, he's always been here, they just built the board around him.

although i take the general point, i think in this particular instance ME was probably irked because using the CM forums to advertise other peoples games is frowned upon. however Madmatt has allowed as Battlefield Command thread to exist in the GF as he has respect for the developers & realises that more wargaming is good for everyone.

Firefly:

Besides, Emrys is entitled to be rude, he's always been here, they just built the board around him.

now thats funny.