Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

H.E. vs. Tiger

I recently came across a description from a Tiger commander at Kursk of an encounter he had and thought I would pass it along.

" When we rounded a bend in the road in dense terrain there was a muzzle flash. It got dark in the tank. The crew lighting had been knocked out, and my right arm was caught between the gun deflector and the turret roof.

We had been hit with a high explosive round on the gun mantlet. Although a high-explosive round, even a large calibre, could not penetrate our vehicle, it still had a considerable effect. The 8.8 cm main gun of the Tiger had been dislodged from the gears of its elevating mechanism by the force of the impact. The long gun with the muzzle brake at the end of it was completely depressed, since it was no longer held in place by the mechanism. As a result, the breechblock of the cannon and the deflector attached to it shot upwards. It hit against the turret roof."

Needless to say, the tank commander's arm was badly broken.

I found myself with a terrible setup a while back. Playing as the Germans with 2 88ATG's knocked out I only had a couple of Houwitsers left. I had them blast away at a T34 and a KV1 IIRC. Paniced one and scored a gunhit on the other. When push comes to shuff, it's better dan doing nothing.

Mies