Play balance problem

I know I should post this in the Tech forum, but I don't get any response there. I have the following problem. I choose one of the huge scenarios, play as Germans, put the play balance for the Russians on 200%. Now this usually works, but sometimes the games simply freezes right after selecting 200%. When I select 200% for my own side (the Germans) I never have this problem. I know my system can handle this (it did so many times before), but from time to time I get this strange problem. Does anybody recognize this and even more important, is there an explanation/solution?

Guest PondScum

There's an upper limit on the maximum number of units allowed in the game. If you take a huge scenario that's already nearing this limit, and then triple the units on one side, you could well be in trouble...

Soviet units are usually cheaper, so tripling the number gives a greater final number than it would for the uber-priced Germans.

Plus, you are also giving masses more units to the AI, who tends to go *urrk!* at this tidal wave of units to command (for me, certainly, the fewer units the AI controls the quicker the turn processes.

Wow, I've never heard of reaching the max units before (probably because I'm too timid to try on my machine).

If you were on a mac I'd suggest you check the game's allocated memory (in the info box, command-I). I'd up the minimum allocated memory at least. I had a couple unexpected crashes and it turned out to be memory management issues. Easily fixed.

Is there a PC equivalent to increasing the application's allocated memory on the mac?

[ June 09, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

It is probably the max number of units problem.

It used to be 255, but it might be more now.

It is also not really clear to me whether a squad counts as two units (because it can potentionally be split).

System specs play no role for that.

Yes, there is a hard limit cutoff for number of units. It's more than 255 for CMBB, but I have no clue what it is now. Ask Rune, he knows stuff like that as he's maxing out in every second scenario he makes ;)

Martin