Ooooh this ticks me off....

Situation: My T-34 hears a german vehicle (sound contact) crossing a field at night. I order 2 squads of infantry to set up about 10 meters out in front of the T-34, facing the sound. The T-34 rotates toward the field and stops - it is unbuttoned with an armor cover arc facing the field. Result: next minute after a few seconds I hear a "bang" "thud" - my T-34 is dead. Then some open topped german crap vehicle appears in the field right where the T-34 was facing. How could he possibly have seen me first and how could this be avoided in the future??

Possibly wouldn't have bothered rotating . I'd have put a covered arc on the field and then hid the t-34 (depending on if this where it was on set up [scatterered trees depending on the time of year works well] for a camouflage bonus). By rotating you gave yourself away with engine noise etc and/or possibly the German superior optics also work better in the dark, which may account on him getting first drop on you. Good idea to have troops screening maybe next time have them further out in cover with arc themselves.

I am guessing by "some open topped german crap vehicle" it was a Marder. At least lets hope it was not a Nashorn... It does not help your situation any if the Marder crew had higher experience than your T34 crew. And also the Marder's ableit narrow optics are somewhat superior to the average Soviet optics. Depending on the situation the Marder crew would have seen your T34 before your T34 crew seen the Marder.

As previously stated hiding may have helped. Since a vehicle "hiding" simulates something more along the lines of turning the engine off and keeping things quiet. So if your T34 had been "hidden" it may have made a vehicle? or more detailed contact and then you could have reacted.

Tschüß!

Erich

Originally posted by securityguard:

The optics definitely work better at night for germans. They absorb far much more light. Infact, I do not think "standard optics" even covers magnification.

It says otherwise in the manual:

"Good magnification allows for better spotting and

gunfire accuracy at long range, except in low-light

conditions where the greater need for light of highmagnification

optics becomes a hindrance, reducing their

effectiveness relative to lower-power lens."

In my experience though, German tanks usually have the edge when it comes to spotting. Nothing you can really do I guess.

Well I don't see how hiding the T-34 would have helped since hiding reduces spotting ability. My tank was still when it was hit - not in the process of turning - but one point is true - there could have been German troops in the field - with exteme FOW I can't tell yet...probably should have put my screening squads on "move to contact" towards the sound to remove more of the risk....

The other potential mistake you made was setting a vehicle covered arc which may have meant that your tank wouldn't even fire if it had spotted an armoured car that was mis-identified as being little to no threat. Just hypothesising here but if this so called no-threat armoured car ends up being a Puma or a 75mm heavy A.C. then you're pretty much toast with a vehicle covered arc.

Regards

Jim R.

I beg to differ, Mr JasonC. I have experienced what Kanonier has sayeth.

In other words, having my Armoured car set to ARMORED cover arc and then NOT shooting as an armored car rolled through it's arc.

Now, I've only experienced it once, and never actually tested it . . . so . . .

I could be wrong. smile.gif

Helpful, no?

Gpig

Originally posted by Der Kuenstler:

Well I don't see how hiding the T-34 would have helped since hiding reduces spotting ability. My tank was still when it was hit - not in the process of turning-

IME hidden units spot perfectly fine, infantry, tanks, guns, whatever; so hiding your T-34 would be a good idea, IMHO. Prevent rotating the turret is another since it defeats the purpose of hiding in the first place. Be carefull when setting a coverred arc.

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Der Kuenstler:

Well I don't see how hiding the T-34 would have helped since hiding reduces spotting ability. My tank was still when it was hit - not in the process of turning-

IME hidden units spot perfectly fine, infantry, tanks, guns, whatever; so hiding your T-34 would be a good idea, IMHO. Prevent rotating the turret is another since it defeats the purpose of hiding in the first place. Be carefull when setting a coverred arc. </font>