A wish for future CMs, movement orders and more

A wish for future CMs, movement orders and more

I would like to see better movement orders. I often need orders like: sneak to contact and hide, advance to armor contact, etc.

I think that it would be best to have option to customize movement order. A few check boxes with options: move at maximum speed, move to infantry contact, move to armor contact, return fire when fired upon, open fire on enemy, look for hiding enemy units... Each of these options would make impact on movement speed, fatigue, how will they react on enemy fire (are they going to panic at first enemy bullet, or be able to withstand overkill). Each of the option has its pluses and minuses.

There should be option to memorize all movement types that player uses often (with ability to player names them as he wants). This will also eliminate large number of movement orders that are currently in the game (run, advance, assault, move to contact, ...). For example:

* "run" would be: move at maximum speed

* "advance" would be: expect enemy fire, return fire when fired upon

* "assault" would be: move at maximum speed, expect enemy fire, open fire on enemy

Further more, there could be similar check boxes for stationary units. These check boxes would be: open fire on infantry, open fire on armor, conserve ammunition, target priorities, ...

Yes, I think that it will increase flexibility if the various KINDS of orders were separated from each other.

For example, there are various aspects that are currently rolled into single orders that would be more flexible if they were separate orders that could be composed. For example:

Movement Speed -- Fast, Medium, Slow

Use of cover -- None, Medium, Full

Fire/Facing Direction -- Covered Arc

Fire Density -- None, Harassing, Suppressing, Full

This would provide both more control of orders while simplifying the individual components. The complexity of the orders would result from the interaction.

For example, the current "Run" could be achieved with Fast Movement, No Cover, No Fire. "Sneak" would be Slow Movement, Full Cover, No Fire, etc.

If the Covered Arc were used for facing as well as fire control, perhaps that would help solve the withdrawal under fire order problem people have posted about. Hmmm, I wonder if it already does?

Now if delays also applied to canceling orders, with an immediate halt order something like the "Withdraw" command...

Originally posted by redwolf:

Please check out the recent thread where we discussed SOPs.

Permanent SOPs for the "reaction" part (stopping, fleeing, etc) and simplfied(!) ovement orders are the way to go.

If you try it without SOPs you end up with way too many orders.

What are these SOPs?

I agree that orders need to be simplified, but they also need to be powerful and exact. Anyway, it's good to see that somebody to doing something on this matter.

Originally posted by tar:

If the Covered Arc were used for facing as well as fire control, perhaps that would help solve the withdrawal under fire order problem people have posted about. Hmmm, I wonder if it already does?

Units (or turrets in the case of turreted AFVs) always face the center of their covered arc once they have had time to align themselves. I haven't checked to see if they turn to face an attack coming from outside their CAs.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tar:

Units (or turrets in the case of turreted AFVs) always face the center of their covered arc once they have had time to align themselves. I haven't checked to see if they turn to face an attack coming from outside their CAs.

Michael </font>