Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sentjurc's THE TORRENTS OF WAR--anyone read it?

Got mine yesterday for a song at a local Friends of the Library book sale, in the form of a 1963 copy in such incredible condition it looks as though it just came off the press. It's not easy to read, but it's meaty, deep, and thought-provoking, with the kind of imagery that sears itself into your brain. Can practically taste and smell what's going on!

Googled the author trying to learn something about him. Bad mistake! Most of the sites aren't in English, and even after limiting only to those that are, I was still swimming in German and such, with most of the entries being his books on offer and others being author lists with no explanation.

From what I can tell, Sentjurc is a pen name for the German Igor von Procha or somesuch, but that's all many pages of Googling has produced.

Would like to know who's read it here, what you though of it, and can someone please tell me more about the author? Am only 20 pages in or thereabouts, and the action thus far appears to be part of the Kursk offensive.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Read this searing, provocative, merciless and disturbing book. Not easy to read, it is worth the time and effort. Originally published in German by a German writer, this is no Nazi apology at all. Rather, it's more like a societal confession which emerges late in the book as some of the protagonists begin to confront their parts, whether in enabling and supporting the rise of the Nazis, fighting for it and/or committing atrocities on the behalf of Hitler and his government. The brutality of war is conveyed in its full horror and unflinchingly.

Regards,

John Kettler