What's the diffrence?

Originally posted by Der Kunstler:

The rules say a hidden unit can't spot as good as unhidden. However - I can hide and unhide my sniper and he sees just as far according to the LOS tool either way. Is that just recalculated at the beginning of the turn or what?

AIUI, the LOS tool shows how far an uninterrupted line-of-sight exists. It does not show the probability of the spotter achieving any given level of target acquisition -- uninterrupted LOS is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for spotting -- and it is this that I think the reduced spotting ability refers to.

All the best,

John.

It's worth noting that this is not a small thing. The difference is DRAMATIC.

If you are defending and have all your units hidden (as I stupidly used to) the attacker will be on you before you see them if there is any cover whatsoever. For example, I was attacked through vineyards and taken by suprise by an infantry force while I was hidden.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

If you are defending and have all your units hidden (as I stupidly used to) the attacker will be on you before you see them if there is any cover whatsoever. For example, I was attacked through vineyards and taken by suprise by an infantry force while I was hidden.

Rather you can have your forces remain unhidden, but with a cover arc so you can ambush advancing forces.

If you are defending and have all your units hidden (as I stupidly used to)

I still do. It usually only takes a couple or three strategically placed un-hidden units to provide 'spotting cover' for all.

Then you can suprise the enemy to greater effect when your 'Borg-informed' troops do eventually chose to un-hide and let-rip - (and it's satisfying, believe me...)

I find the cover-arc thing, in this situation, more dangerous. (Not to mention overly 'fiddly' for large numbers of troops, in the early stages).