deathpile,

Its a problem i have seen over and over in the game,, When units independently dash from cover to a very exposed position, and then sneak in that position, Squad upon squad will pile into a small area of maximum exposure, and they will be slaughtered,, Once it starts,, no order will cause them to return to cover,, I call it deathpile,, they start out running,, untill they reach the point of extermination,, and then they sneak back and forth in a tiny patern of 'sneak' waypoints,, This goes untill they become paniced and broken,, and then continues untill they are whiped out,,,, Its almost funny to watch the whrithing mass of squads as they sneak in the same spot,, Has it ever happened to you??

I dont alow them to cross either,, they were in cover,, and safe,, i wanted them to move along the gully, remaining in cover,, i asigned waypoints, to move along the gully, one platoon at a time,, well spaced, keeping in cover, and i hit go,,,,, and they all ran out from cover to the hill,,, even the units that had no move orders at all,,, and after that, they ignored all move orders to go back to cover,, the orders spontaniously switched from the ones i gave, to the new run or sneak orders,, and this always happened,,, after i surendered i looked at the map, the enemy had no los to the gully, the gully was as safe as i had assumed it was,,, , i explored the gully, it was deep, wide and passable, full of scattered trees and spots of forest,,,, but my units abandoned it, for no reason, and went strait to the hill, nice bare hill, fully exposed, even my arty spoters ran up and died,, worse yet, the only platoon that didnt do this,, was a conscript comand squad with zero bonuses, leading 3 squads of green infantry, they stayed in cover, the rest of my forces rushed to the hill and got slaughtered, i didnt order them to go there,,,,,,,,,,, When i do send troops across open ground,, i spread them out and use smoke,,,

Originally posted by Corvidae:

I dont alow them to cross either,, they were in cover,, and safe,, i wanted them to move along the gully, remaining in cover,, i asigned waypoints, to move along the gully, one platoon at a time,, well spaced, keeping in cover, and i hit go,,,,, and they all ran out from cover to the hill,,, even the units that had no move orders at all,,, and after that, they ignored all move orders to go back to cover,, the orders spontaniously switched from the ones i gave, to the new run or sneak orders,, and this always happened,,, after i surendered i looked at the map, the enemy had no los to the gully, the gully was as safe as i had assumed it was,,, , i explored the gully, it was deep, wide and passable, full of scattered trees and spots of forest,,,, but my units abandoned it, for no reason, and went strait to the hill, nice bare hill, fully exposed, even my arty spoters ran up and died,, worse yet, the only platoon that didnt do this,, was a conscript comand squad with zero bonuses, leading 3 squads of green infantry, they stayed in cover, the rest of my forces rushed to the hill and got slaughtered, i didnt order them to go there,,,,,,,,,,, When i do send troops across open ground,, i spread them out and use smoke,,,

Good Lord! What's with all the commas? Sorry, but I guess I'm just one of those people whom it bothers.

[ December 27, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Shmavis ]

I'm tempted to say - don't ask for a logical explanation.

Obviously I won't but hopefully you'll admire my mental strength.

Your men will only break and become routed under fire. Direct or indirect. If you get down to level 1 with the squad and follow it you *will* hear bullets hitting them or mortars going off nearby etc. You may not see the bullet hit as no one in your squad may see it arrive.

Another thing is the approach may be mined. I'm not sure but I think in the AAR you may not see your opponents mines on the map. This could explain the behaviour.

If you have a screen shot, please post it.

Also, you do know to use "Advance" when moving if there is the remotest possibility that you may come under fire. There is a massive moral hit if a squad is "move-ing" or even worse "fast-ing" (running).

Using advance you can move even in the face of MG fire etc. I've found this thread for you where JasonC explains how to advance under fire.

Good luck.