Bug with assault boats?

I created a scenario called "water struggle" that is up at the depot and the proving grounds.

In this scenario, some of my boats came under enemy fire. The infantry squads that were moving forward with the boats stopped moving and broke.

However, the boats still have the lines indicating that they have "move" orders when I look at "show all moves". But if you click on a boat you only get LOS.

Now comes the strange part. My men try to embark the boat, but they can never embark. They spend turn after turn with their little legs moving in place as they attempt to embark. I even gave up on that and had to try to embark different boats, but still no dice. I picked a boat that was "empty" and without soldiers at the start and one of my panicked squads was able to board that boat and try to cross the river.

Any thoughts? Is this a known bug?

Originally posted by Carl Puppchen:

I created a scenario called "water struggle" that is up at the depot and the proving grounds.

In this scenario, some of my boats came under enemy fire. The infantry squads that were moving forward with the boats stopped moving and broke.

However, the boats still have the lines indicating that they have "move" orders when I look at "show all moves". But if you click on a boat you only get LOS.

Now comes the strange part. My men try to embark the boat, but they can never embark. They spend turn after turn with their little legs moving in place as they attempt to embark. I even gave up on that and had to try to embark different boats, but still no dice. I picked a boat that was "empty" and without soldiers at the start and one of my panicked squads was able to board that boat and try to cross the river.

Any thoughts? Is this a known bug?

It's been awhile since I used them, but I don't think you're talking about a bug. I think you can't embark if the boats are in the water, they actually need to be ashore. Very finicky those little buggers. Just run a few tests and you'll figure it out.

If I understand your situation correctly, you had several squads pushing boats across land, and when they came under fire they ran off leaving the boats. You then tried to re-embark the men, but for some reason the men wouldn't actually embark. They got in the boat but the graphic showed them still running, not sitting down.

Did I get that right?

If so, then the thing to do is delete the move orders for the boats (click on boat, then hit the backspace key). Now embark the troops and issue the boat new move orders.

What you experience is not a bug, per se. Boats in CM require an infantry unit to move them. When your squads panicked and ran off it left the boats with its original move order in place, but without the means to actually move across the map. When the squad tried to re-embark it couldn't because the boat was "in movement" as far as the computer was concerned, and infantry units cannot embark on a transport that is moving.

You are correct in the summary above. However, the issue is that the boats still have MOVE orders even with no one inside them (I can see them when the "all moves" selection is made) and I can't eliminate these move orders by selecting the boat, because the only command available is the "check LOS" command when I select on the boats.

River Crossing Tips

I put up a picture on my "river crossing tips" page of my cmak site where you can see the boats with no one in them and the green line indicating that they have a 'move' command. I can even move the red block at the end of the move command a bit (waypoint) but I can't cancel it.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Carl Puppchen ]

Originally posted by Carl Puppchen:

I can't eliminate these move orders by selecting the boat, because the only command available is the "check LOS" command when I select on the boats.

Click on the boat and hit the backspace key. That will eliminate any orders still active. Now embark your troops and issue new move orders to your boats.