Getting into a good hull down position

When using my tanks I do not seem to be able to achieve a good hull down position. I need some advice on:

1) When and where to use tanks hull down

2) Exactly how to use the hull down command

The key problems I have encountered are that the tank seems to stop short or go well pass where I want it to go hull down. If it does go hull down sometimes the bow MG is blocked.

I know the principle of why you want to go hull down [harder to hit] but when do you use it? I seem to mainly rely on "Fast" and "Hunt" and I guess I am limiting my tactical options by doing so [shoot & Scoot...] and not making best use of them.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Use the 'move to contact' command instead of hull down. Your tank will automatically stop at the first sighting, ensuring a hull down position every time.

That is if there is adequate Hull Down providing terrain, otherwise contact may occur when the tank is in the open.

Originally posted by patboy:

Hull down is good position but don't forget your turret armor is less than your hull armor!

Only on certain tanks. On many the armor is thicker (or harder to penetrate due to armor = slope) making the tank even safer in hull down.

Poor Old Spike ran some very good tests regarding the matter. He demonstrates the advantage of hulldown even if turret is very thin

And yes, being hull down blocks the bow MG.

[ November 14, 2007, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Broompatrol ]

The key is not to use the 'hull down' command. Your judgment about when you are hulldown relative to the enemy is much better than the AIs.

I really don't know why they bothered with this command since nobody with experience actually uses it, and it will inevitably cause frustration for anybody with inexperience.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

Use the 'move to contact' command instead of hull down. Your tank will automatically stop at the first sighting, ensuring a hull down position every time.

That is if there is adequate Hull Down providing terrain, otherwise contact may occur when the tank is in the open. </font>

Timing your tank is unfortunately, for some of us at least, the easiest way to get it flamed, or is that just me? When I am faced with situations such as these, I personally prefer 'hunt' to 'move to contact'. 'Hunt' will stop the tank on anything that can kill it, but won't waste a turn because a MG opened up across the map, or an infantry squad decides to relocate. I appreciate being able to get a few rounds into a random enemy, but most times I get no kills for the waste. Does anyone have any particular reason why 'Move to contact' is preferable to them?