Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help with "Static" Operations

Hello,

I've just started a PBEM Operation. It is listed as a type "Static". Without resorting to spoilers, I have a few simple questions (which no doubt reveal my lack of Uber-operative-grogness): In "Advance" and "Assault" operations, the further forward the battle progresses, the more map you see (which could include more Victory Locations). Is this true for "Static" Operations? Or is the map I see at setup for the first battle the ENTIRE map I'll fight on for the entire operation?

Also, in this operation, there are numerous blue "*"'s (asterisks), of the same type of font as a landmark. It's almost as if the designer labeled an area with them. They form, roughly, two parallel rows across the width of the map, right at the edge of my front line. Do these have any known use in static operations, or is it peculiar to this operation and designer?

A related question: with trenches, how do you know if your units are getting the defensive benefits? I don't see any kind of "trench" indication in the unit window when I place a unit visually on/in a trench. Do units get a movement bonus for moving completely in a trench?

If you're curious, it's "Penny Packets". I'm the Germans. For the sake of my PBEM and any shred of pride I have left, DO NOT post any spoilers, without a huge, friggin' "SPOILER" banner!

Thanks,

Ken

I haven't played penny packets so no spoilers here!!

The asterisks? No idea at all, is there anything in the intro briefings about this?

Static operations remain on the same map throughout, the only advances you make will be shown on this map alone, you do not progress anywhere else so get to know the terrain and hold onto any advantageous positions you acquire.

The trenches one is a good question....not sure myself but take it that if they are ON the trench they will be getting benefits.

As for your lack of Groginess!! Well this is just a game so relax and enjoy it, Grognards who wish to take the piss out of your genuine questions have yet to discover the joys of the finer things in life such as wine, women and song!!

And anyway, most people I've encountered on the forum are pretty genuine.

Enjoy!

the asterisks are with no doubt placed by the designer.

In one battle of the stalingrad pack, it was the indication of the probable trenches of the ennemy. Look again in the op's briefing, it should say something about it

Concerning the units in trenches : i've remarked that during the setting, the unit placed obsiously in trench is only labelled to sit in the surrounding ground terrain type (for example "steppe"), not trench.

But in the 1st turn, it's corrected, the unit in trench is in terrain type "trench".

Mercury and Sigurd,

Thanks for the quick replies!

There is nothing in MY briefing about the significance of the asterisks. I'm just hoping, since they bracket my set-up area, that it's not something for the Soviet player like, "Estimated impact zone of 4th Assault Artillery Division fire-mission zulu." That could hurt.

As for being IN trenches during a turn, not the set-up, that could be the key. Thanks.

Ken

c3k, if I remember correctly the briefing does mention what the * are for, but it could be for the other side. Or, maybe you forgot to scroll the briefing to page 2?

As for the trenches - the cover benefit is shown in the interface, except during the setup phase (when the trenches can be moved by the player)

Martin