CM War Photography Challenge?

Was messing about with screen shots the other day and was wondering if ppl would be interested in having some kind of CM photography competition (taken from screenshots). After all, CM is a nice looking game (in its own unique kinda way) and I've seen some awesome screenshots posted around the net. We would need some kind of neutral judge and perhaps even a little prize for the winner. Maybe different categories- infantry, armour, guns, landscape and other? Just thought I'd post this to see if there would be any interest in this kind of thing.

Thoughts, suggestions and so forth would be very welcome...

Rather lukewarm reception so far :( I'm gonna take a couple of days to see how many more ppl are interested and to work out the best way of running it, then I'll set it up myself (if there's enough interest). In the meantime, all those of you who would potentially be interested in this kind of thing, could you leave a short message here so I can get a feel for how many ppl we are talking about please?

Oh, and what's the best way of getting pics on the website?

Ok, I've had a think about how this could be run.

I would act as the judge (so obviously not enter any pics myself) unless someone else feels that they particularly want to do it

I (or whoever was judging) would send out a small prize to the winner. Haven't decided what yet, but would have to be something that could be mailed overseas without too much difficulty

All entries would be posted on an appropriate thread

One entry per person per category

Two categories: edited and unedited. The rules for each would be as follows:

Unedited:

- any picture of anything taken within CM

- Mods allowed

- Editing on photoshop etc disallowed

- May break this down into smaller categories (e.g vehicles, infantry, landscapes etc) depending on the level of response

Edited:

- any picture of anything taken with CM

- Mods allowed

- Editing on photoshop etc allowed (to allow ppl to add stuff like speech bubbles and other stuff humourous stuff that just doesn't appear in CM)

Only rough ideas at the moment- more suggestions would be welcome.

Keep the messages coming too, so I know roughly how popular this would be!

Yeah, interesting idea Dorosh. I was just thinking it would save time , rather than having a long winded poll. If you can think of a way of quickly having a poll, it would be a much better approach. Also, what is the deal with posting pictures here? Does each person need to host their own on Image Shack?

I like the poll idea.

Something else: it sounds atractive to have lots of categories, but I'd stick to just those 2 categories that you have defined so far. Having lots of categories will effectively make the whole thing less interesting.

The way it is now, everybody will be eager to get THE perfect shot.

I think that polling has to be done off-site as a matter of policy.

Up until now our hosts have been fairly calm about people putting images on their site. And I, for one, hate thumbnails (slow to load and visually disruptive) and never use them.

I'm concerned, however, that if a hundred amateur image-makers start posting a glut of images on this site they may clamp down on all of us.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to consult Madmatt before proceeding with this. They might have other uses for the bandwidth and prefer if this were done on another site. Or maybe not. It does, after all, raise enthusiasm for their upcoming product (CMC).

I'm not sure that art should be competitive, except when a panel of professional art critics is involved. And even then I have my doubts (too much like work, and real critiques tend to produce bruised feelings). That being the case, I think it might be better to just have an exhibition of open submissions. Perhaps an upload-only thread -- if it is good enough you can petition for a sticky.