How does the terrain really work?

Ok here's the situation;

A Panzer IVG is sitting behind a patch of EDIT scattered trees.

The manual states that the terrain is treated as tiles, so basically the trees are there, but do not reflect actual positions as the math is abstracted.

Now I am confused because when you use the LOS tool, it does indicate that you cannot see through trees (logically enough), but when you let the tank see through the trees the LOS does not get obstructed.

Does this mean that the tank can actually see through the woods?

[ January 10, 2005, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Yskonyn ]

Wood density alters depending on the Season (think of the leaves), so don't hope to be hiding behind a clump of trees in winter ;)

Also there is a height element to consider, so depending on your relative locations in valleys , overlooking from hills it is possible to look over trees, buildings and have LOS etc

CM is 3D

I know, but i don't think you understand my point; if the manual says that the terrain is treated as tiles which means that even if you're not behind a tree but still on the 'scattered trees' tile the same cover statistics count.

Howcome the trees (the 3D models) itself do function as 'LOS breaking' objects then?

There is a certain 'depth' of different types of terrain that your units can see through. Like, let's say, 30m of woods, 40m of tall pines, 60m scattered trees, 100m brush under clear summer midday conditions.

Although I'm still not quite sure of what it is that you're asking. LOS or cover value or..?

The manual is perhaps not quite precise. Tiles are used only in the editor to make it easier for map designers to design maps. Actual line of sight calculations do not use artificial tiles, but instead are point to point. So how far you are into a patch of scattered trees does count - even if in the editor it's all one 20m by 20m tile.

Martin

Sergei, yes thanks that's what I wanted to know.

Moon, thanks for the info, but then Sergei's suggestion comes into play, how's this with cover then? Does the tile have the same cover values also at the edges in relation to a more central position on the tile or when you're deeper into the tile you got better cover?

Moon,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a point of view element here as well. If you are right behind a clump of trees only one tile deep you may be able to see through and out of it, but someone a distance away from you may not be able to see you through it. try this in real life, a small clump of trees in the distance screens the stuff behind it, but if you are right next to the same clump of trees you can see stuff on the other side of it.

Will