Kv tanks during early Barbarossa, Supermen?

Since 76mm HE will KO most German models of 1941, that isn't much of a drawback. Since Germans all cherry pick to have 50mm fronts, though, the Russians should not pay the slightest attention to this. If the Germans use 30mm-37mm turret vehicles, fine, the Russians can have HE only if you like. Who cares?

The real reason they weren't effective early is a complete lack of combat service and support, and German use of combined arms rather than trying to just duel them tank to tank.

The T-34 and KV's should also be much less effective offensively.

According to Zaloga there was almost no AP ammo available for the new gun when the war started. That in most early war engagements they went into battle with little or no AP ammo and half their normal ammo allotment. Which of course means HE.

I'm thinking HE or AP it really didn't matter what shell you were lobbing out of the front of that 76.2 Compared to what the Germans brought with them into russia. (38T's Panzer 2's and some 3's) I would say that A KV's worst enemy was its own crew.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

I lost a KV2 to a 20mm cannon......it couldnt target the gun while round after round hit the tank frontal armor.

The regular crew bailed out after 2 turns.

Light flak is the best (gamey) way to deal with impenetrable fronted tanks.

In CMAK I've had 1 20mm Oerlikon take out 2 Tigers, with the last one coming within ~170m of it.

I've had another 2 take out 2 Brumbars and a platoon of Hetzers - total spent 32pts.

Originally posted by MPK:

.....immobilisation

is enough, especially with Green crews,

who are just itching to bail...

That's the key to defeating this tank. 9 times out of 10 the Germans will encounter a green crew that bails when the first small arms round pings harmlessly off the turret. Can you imagine KV's with crack or elite crews? OUCH!

• 1 month later...

In tutorial mission "Ironblock" (?) etc, the russian got KV1 and some infantry. The Germany have got many stuff (but ****ty stuff unless 2x 88 flak arrived). Anyway i dont't know how experienced KV's crew is (regular?) but i shot at this monster at least 100 AP and HE (in each side) from my four 3,7 PaK and the crew don't escpae. Do You think I immobilized his or damage his gun ? NO ! This 100+ rounds do nothing ! I know that 37mm round is no match for KV's armor but You told that some rounds will be enough to "DO" something. And the best for the end - KV just turned and make my infantry platoon just burning corpses and parts from my PzII, PZ38t and Sdkfz fly freely thorughout the map! The KV was a monster - but i think there was a regular crew. And if in this mission Flak 88 will didn't arrive it will be really difficult to make through this road.

[ November 27, 2006, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Marcin T ]