#@!% Flame thrower teams!

How do you keep these guys alive?

I had a russian squad pinned down with 2 rifle squads, advanced a F T team to within 10 m and were instantly pinned with 1 round fired and then eliminated! (they also had cover along side a stone fence).

I don't know how to use these guys or where or when

who can help?

Now, what's their range? Give them that as cover arc and tell them to 'move to contact'. Then they will stop once they are in range or draw fire.

However, I would say that only German infantry FT's (medium speed) and Finnish '44 teams (fast!) are good in offensive use, as they can keep up with infantry.

Imagine you and Joe Bloggs and co behind a wall. Bullets chipping walls etc etc your pinned. Then Joe Bloggs spotts flamthrower man approaching and tells rest of you such. Would you keep your head down and get your ass burnt out????? No you would fire at the fookers any chance you got even if there were rounds pinging off near your head. Rather a bullet than burnt alive matey any one disagree?

More than likely the enemy had his head down, which would not let your FT target them. Probably should have stopped them at there max range and area fired to overcome this. Once the enemy popped up so you could see them, it was to late at that distance and the FT team was pinned and killed.

lee

Flame throwers are pretty tough to use on the offensive.They are best used defensively.You cant advance them right with your infantry.They need to be kept about two turns worth of walking behind your infantry force.They are to be called up when your infantry is pinned down and needs that little extra something to get them going again.

FT's are best used in dense terrain or low light situations.Woods are a great place to use them as LOS avenues will be short,plus the good defense bonus of the woods terrain will allow you to "sneak" them up to do their thing--mind the time of year though.In an urban environment LOS is often very short as well,and they could/should be used in a similar manner.

If you have them "moving" or "running" they will take casualties very easily.So it is best to have them "sneak" up when you suspect there might be some fire.A good plus to stealth HQ will help also.

i use FT teams alot. usually i fill up a halftrack with them, and at the height of the firefight, when my tanks have moved in, and all the enemy infantry are busy, i unload them ring in front of said enemy inf unit(s). this usually results in a good old fashioned barbeque, and the poor burned bastards who are left, get cut down almost instantly as they flee. sometimes i just set fire to stuff for fun too. houses, forests, dry grass, tanks. FT's are great. i wish the fire would look a little better though.

On offense, infantry FT teams are only good for killing enemies who are going to die anyway. On offense, if you apply this axiom and other enemies don't have a line of sight to the FT team, you might actually use the FT teams to some effect.

An exception is when on defense, infantry FT teams are placed directly behind a line of friendly infantry. The enemy infantry becomes busy shooting at the friendly infantry just in front of the infantry FT teams. While this shooting goes on, the FT teams shoot over the heads of their infantry protectors and burns the enemy infantry to a cinder :eek: ... hopefully. smile.gif

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

O K guys , I've been having a blast with FT teams!In "a morning at the zoo" I advanced them up the middle behind infantry and pinned a few dug in squads, then laid in some smoke and brought FT up and thru. WOW did they ever do a good job! 2 squads down and one routed! all three teams are still alive and OK.

then I accidently deleted my saved game.

!#@$!%&!!!

I'm gonna try the half track tip asap thanks for all the tips-I would love to see a mod for the fire stream as well.