Finnish log & concrete modded StuGs

Finns made mods to StuGs for example by adding logs & concrete to give extra protection.

fststug.jpg

:eek: :D

now, i wonder if

a) there are mods that show the logs & concrete?

B) the logs & concrete are modelled in CMBB in any way? what about the switch from MG34 to DT?

c) the silly logs & conrete were any good IRL? :rolleyes:

i guess not.

[ November 17, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: undead reindeer cavalry ]

Hmmm. Re c):

1.) Potential use as camo in woods. A log pile is less suspicious than some metal.

2.) Potential use to irritate enemy. Any pile of logs will be targetted by Soviets!

3.) Saves seasonal adequate camo paint.

4.) Concrete might work vs HEAT. Similar effects as porcelain (the material used in china and in modern MBT armor)???

Gruß

Joachim

[ November 17, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Joachim ]

Though I've not seen an official report on this I'm of the opinion that a good deal of the 'concrete' applique armor on the Stug III was done at the factory - or at least as a 'standard' German overhaul procedure. I've seen concrete Stug photos from practically every theater and the technigue and overall finish just looks too consistent to be local.

About log/concrete mods. I'd KILL to be able to mod them but these features are just too '3-D' to be doable just by repainting the textures. As it is you can barely do a section of spare track links believably!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Though I've not seen an official report on this I'm of the opinion that a good deal of the 'concrete' applique armor on the Stug III was done at the factory - or at least as a 'standard' German overhaul procedure. I've seen concrete Stug photos from practically every theater and the technigue and overall finish just looks too consistent to be local.

i think these mods were local work. here's a great page about Finnish stugs: http://www.andreaslarka.net/sturmi.html

About log/concrete mods. I'd KILL to be able to mod them but these features are just too '3-D' to be doable just by repainting the textures. As it is you can barely do a section of spare track links believably!

ok, that's what i thought. i wasn't sure if there were 3D mods as well as texure mods.

Originally posted by Joachim:

Hmmm. Re c):

2.) Potential use to irritate enemy. Any pile of logs will be targetted by Soviets!

grrr, would have been very irritating indeed :mad: smile.gif

4.) Concrete might work vs HEAT. Similar effects as porcelain (the material used in china and in modern MBT armor)???

heh, perhaps, but doesn't seem too likely.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

All I can think of is the Stug's already horrible ground pressure combined with an additional couple of tons of body mass... In a forest terrain. I don't think that could be modelled in CM, except as an ad hoc AT bunker. :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough the Finns drove around their Stugs in terrain which the Germans would have deemed unsuitable for armoured activity. If you look at the pic in the first post you will see what i mean. smile.gif

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Isn't that what I just said? :confused:

Not the way I read it. smile.gif

Anyway, if the tank in that pic would be modelled in CM, it'd be immobilized due to bogging already.

Not exactly. The real difference is in the "experience" level. The Germans were apprehensive about driving their vehicles in the kind of terrain in which the Finns would (be forced to) drive theirs.

Perhaps the Finnish Stugs should be modelled differently? Perhaps a special "Finn bonus" that'd cause the Stug to maneuver like it had a ground pressure of like 0.5 kg per cm^2? :D

More like the entire vehicle performance in wooded terrain modelling should be overhauled. smile.gif

[ November 19, 2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Tero ]