ASL Interface by Michael Dorosh

Just finished downloading Michael Dorosh's ASL interface for CMBB. Thanks Michael !!! It really gives an "ASL tone" to the game.

I have been waiting for some time for this one.This is a Beatiful mod. I especially like the unit portraits.

Hope you will also make an ASL interface for the upcoming CMAK. Please...Please...Pretty Please; say you will...

Thank You !!! Thank You !!! Thank You !!!

Cheers,

Singray ;)

PS: They are available at CM Mod Database

I still have 50 megs of buildings to upload...

I posted a screenshot from one of my games in the General Forum and got soundly beaten for how "ugly" the interface mod was. I figured it was time to release it. :D

There are still 20 or so vehicle portraits that I haven't done and one or two other bmps...consider this a beta version for which feedback is needed.

Well, I'll have to say, the game plays a ton smoother, as in less lag and more responsiveness. Obviously due to the terrain being such "low-res". I need to get used to the ASL terrain a bit, but I really like that you can see your units and it does look like an ASL mapboard.

The menu's and game info look absolutely wonderful, love it!

Caution to others, and it goes without saying, but backup your existing BMP folder first just in case this isn't your thing.

Screenies, Hill 621 being appropre here (low res, in game looks much sharper):

ASLss1.jpg

ASLss3.jpg

ASLss2.jpg

I've redone the buildings too - I'll try and upload them tonight. Currently, it is hard to tell light from heavy, so I've done them in ASL style; brown for light buildings and grey for heavy.

Yes, the terrain is "ugly" but you can really see the elevations and terrain types quickly which to me is more important than having super-velvety grass that looks like grandma's backyard.

Definitely not for everyone, so what GJK said - back it up and don't complain to me!

I never knew what ASL was upto now; i just saw the pic of the playing field from up above, and now see what asl is. I saw it at my little cousins ones, he had a big 'carpet' rolled out to play with his dinkytoys on, it looked just the same. Is it something like that?

(so the mod is done pretty good, i guess)

But WHY??????????????????? :D

lol; no, just kidding

(i never had ASL)

[ September 09, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

It does seem that the elevations are a little flat. The contour lines in ASL should denote more than just a one elevation CM change. (if using 2.5m cm elevations).

Particulary since in ASL if you are standing on a level one elevation you should be about equal to the top of a level one (single story) building. SO that should be at least 2 CM elevations.

Los

[ September 09, 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Los ]

Originally posted by Los:

It does seem that the elevations are a little flat. The contour lines in ASL should denote more than just a one elevation CM change. (if using 2.5m cm elevations).

Particulary since in ASL if you are standing on a level one elevation you should be about equal to the top of a level one (single story) building. SO that should be at least 2 CM elevations.

Los

Yep, this is correct. Most conversion authors do, I believe, use this formula - 5 metres per ASL "Level".

You'll notice in the first screenshot, the nearest "hill" which is a one elevation change in Squad Leader actually has 3 different elevation levels in CM, as evidenced by the different colour tiles.

Then i was wrong, previously. Sorry, bout that.

But im happy that i know now.

Must have been a pretty exciting game; because the lot of u still have such strong feelings about it. (ive never seen this game in the Netherlands. ore even Europe?)

Ahwell as a child i had the notorious 'little' soldiers as we called them. those 2 cm big to buy in a pack of i think 40 to 45, as a company.....with alot of tank models to go with it that u could model paste yourself.

We had over 1500 of those and a our best friends even more. When we played together we did setups the whole afternoon...and when we nearly had to go to dinner, we quickly attacked eachothers fortifications by taking turns throwing a small marble...(BOOM; wow 3 at ones!!!)

Oh that was super cool.

Your convertion could indeed do good for those with a not so heavy computer.

anyways....sorry to bud in :(

No problem theike, and yeah, I'd say people are still pretty passionate about the game(s). Actually, my hopes for computer wargaming has always been to find the perfect equivalent to ASL for the computer and I think CM is it, if not much more. Different a bit, but Michael has pulled to two a lot closer with this mod in appearance. I played with it all day yesterday and it's a keeper for me. I can really take advantage of the terrain better than before I feel as trees/scattered trees and open ground as well as elevation levels are all very discernable now.

As far as computer ASL goes, you can play ASL via the computer, though a fully implemented AI isn't available (yet, if ever):

JASL

VASL

ASLAP

VSQL (for Squad Leader)

Cyberboard - covering many of the old boardgames

That exhausts my links list pretty much...

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

You mean you can discern elevations at the 3 & 4 levels?

That would be SWEEET!!! :D

It's the main reason I put up with the ugly colour scheme. You can also tell

heavy buildings from light at a glance

scattered trees from woods at a glance

Fords from water at a glance

Spot barbed wire much more easily

I think these have a very real effect on gameplay; often when pathfinding for your units in the orders phase, you need to sweep the LOS tool over the terrain to see if a stand of trees are impassible woods (for vehicles) or scattered trees, and for infantry in a town, you need to figure the light from the heavy buildings and remember if the funny green building is heavy or light, etc.

So instead of just being a trip to memory lane for the aging gamer, there are some practical timesaving benefits to this as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If the ASL mod is true to the game, you should have trouble seeing:

1. American, Allied Minor & Axis Minor units against open ground;

2. Commonwealth units in the open desert;

3. Italian units in stone rubble;

4. Russian units in open ground @ levels 1 to 3.

German, Chinese, Finnish & French and Japanese units can be seen against any old background.

;)

Originally posted by GJK:

[snipped by Brent] I need to get used to the ASL terrain a bit, but I really like that you can see your units and it does look like an ASL mapboard. [snipped by Brent]

[edited for some forgotten Nationalities]

[ June 13, 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

If the ASL mod is true to the game, you should have trouble seeing:

1. American, Allied Minor & Axis Minor units against open ground;

2. Commonwealth units in the open desert;

3. Italian units in stone rubble;

4. Russian units in open ground @ levels 1 to 3.

German and Japanese units can be seen against any old background.

;)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJK:

[snipped by Brent] I need to get used to the ASL terrain a bit, but I really like that you can see your units and it does look like an ASL mapboard. [snipped by Brent]

</font>