Question on "gamey" game play

First thanks for the replys guys even if they are not what I wanted to hear or agree on but like Fionn pointed out that's my opinion and his. So cool. What I trying to do however is determine what most people would think about that. I have seen that site before nevermind and also think it would be a good tool to have in The Proving Grounds but doesn't it still leave open what is actually gamey and what't not? It does however help a lot but even going by it it doens't spell out not to do it. I guess like mentioned before you just have to talk to your opponent. I personnally am making a list of questions to discuss for the future but would be great to have a list at the various signup sites.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,i typically know where a safe avenue of retreat is,and in an attempt of depriving my opponent of the valuable points for kiling my "crews",i try my best to get them out of there by literally running them off the map.If they are surrounded by firefights,but are in cover,i will hide them in the hopes that they wont be found until i can retreat them.

I dont suppose that moving them towards the rest of your force is gamey,but what after that?Are you going to leave the crew by the flag after your force has moved on?Are you going to advance them with your force body,making sure to keep them to the rear of said force body,since it is gamey to use them to trip the ambushes?This is why i just try my best to get them off the map.

Sorry for not more directly answering your question.I was attempting to point out that opinions vary greatly,and your best bet is to find someone to play that shares your opinions.

I usually think of gamey as anything u can do in a Command & Conquer or BF1942 game that obviously didnt happen in WW2, like driving an APC full of engies through an enemy base to a sensitve point to capture a building ( Im sure APCs arent fast enough or well armored enough to accomplish that in the real world, anyways)

I also think of it as attempting to get a bazooka team to ride on a jeep and knock out tanks while riding as the jeep is swirving around dodging bullets and tank shells left and right :D

Also, would a form of distraction be a gamey tactic? Like sending some troops/tanks into an enemy area and then sending a convoy past them as they are busy duking it out with the tanks/soldiers?

Originally posted by nevermind:

Another possibility is to write a short summary of your gamey beliefs and mail them to your opponent before a game,and see if you can agree on terms.i think it was moneymaxx that said he was going to start dong this.

Just finished it smile.gif . It's no literature masterpiece, but I think it covers a wide range of subjects (especially for CMBO). I'm just posting it here as an example. Here it is:

'Gameyness - My view.txt'

Gameyness is a hard to define. Reading through a lot of threads on the CM board I came to the conclusion that there are as many definitions as CM players. The best advise is to discuss this subject before a battle against a new opponent (YOU smile.gif ) starts.

Therefore you have to read now my own personal list of gamey things V1.0 based on the following link: http://home.arcor.de/rehbold/Gamey_tactics.htm . I'm always willing to discuss the subjects and we can agree on additional rules. If I consider something "not gamey" it doesn't follow that I use those tactics, see for example 12).

1) Flak Trucks:

= gamey

2) M8 HMC

= not gamey

3) Wasps

= not gamey

4) Hetzer

= not gamey

5) SMG squads

= somewhat gamey if used as the main infantry force, let's say no more than 30%. But I don't consider paratroopers or Fallschirmjäger gamey at all.

6) "Super tanks"

= not gamey (additional rules might be necessary)

7) Big artillery

= not gamey

8) Assault boats

= gamey, if used on dry land to attract fire.

9a) Mixing force branches

= not gamey, but it destroys the "atmosphere" of the battle if too many branches are involved. I think 2 are OK.

9b) Mixing countries

= not gamey, but strange. I want do it, because it "kills" the "atmosphere". If you want to, go ahead.

10) Wire spotting

= gamey

11) Flame walls

= gamey, but I don't consider it gamey if someone burns down a building to deny access to that building unless it is a victory location.

12) Crews used on attack

= not gamey, but I consider it too unrealistic, so I want do it. If you want to sacrifice your crews, go ahead.

13) Crews used for scouting

= not gamey, but I consider it too unrealistic, so I want do it. If you want to sacrifice your crews, go ahead.

14) Edge hugging

= not gamey, CM is a game and has map edges just like chess. It's difficult to decide what's flanking and what's edge hugging and either player can easily find an explanation why a map edge should be friendly or hostile. To avoid this discussion, you can move wherever you want, I'll too.

15) Jeep (vehicle) rushes

= not gamey, but I consider it too unrealistic, so I want do it. If you want to sacrifice your vehicles, go ahead.

16) Flag rushes

= not gamey, since it is difficult to decide whether something is a rush or a late attack. I will occasionally use them.

And even more that is not included on the web page:

17) Snipers for scouting

= see 12) - 14) , not even unrealistic IMHO when Snipers aren't send on a suicide mission.

18) Guns without transport

= Some claim that every gun must have one transport unit in a ME or attack mission (not the defender) and can't start the battle in a prepared position, hence they have to be towed by a truck, HT or a jeep. This is not my point of view. I place guns in overwatch positions to guard the advance of my forces. Anyway this is more about what one considers the reality of a ME. I think that a wise commander would always place guns to protect his advance. Be warned smile.gif . Since not all means of transport are simulated I will not buy a transport unit for every gun. The game allows this, so why should I buy e.g. trucks if I don't need the mobility.

19) Historical OOBs, tactics

= I don't know enough about those matters. Therefore I don't care if StuH '42 fought alongside Panthers or not. Buy what you want, I will too.

20) Destroying buildings to get LOS

Blast those houses, I will too smile.gif .

Feel free to add a point, that is not already covered. I'm playing CMBO to have fun and I like surprises. Come up with a strange force mix, if you want, and try to beat me.

On this web page you can find a player categorization http://home.arcor.de/rehbold/ranger_categories.htm . I'm definitely a number 4 player. I'll play against all other types except 6).

I'm planning to update this .txt file every time a new possible gamey subject surfaces. For CMBB it would be a lot shorter file I guess.

[ March 31, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: moneymaxx ]

Hey moneymaxx the links aren't working at least for me they're not. I think the list is a real good thing to have and everybody should discuss it before playing. I know I will. I think most people like moneymaxx and myself are more worried about others thinking that we're pulling something gamey then us worrying about others being gamey. I think that says a lot for most of us that visit this forum and want to play.