New Scenario, late 1942, South, Settlement 79

Here is a new Scenario I have concocted if anyone would like to give it a go. I have only play tested it verse the AI so some feedback would be appreciated.

It is a 2,800 (app.) Meeting Engagement based on a historical battle near the Chir River when the German’s were trying to launch a relief effort towards Stalingrad. The action was fought at the Russian State Farm named Settlement 79, or in Russian, Sowchos 79. This scenario is not a copy of the SL/COI battle of the same name but rather a different take on the battle.

Download

General Brief

Title: State Farm Settlement 79

Type: Meeting Engagement

Date: December 8th 1942

Region: South

Weather: Clear and cold, light snow

Terrain: Hills giving into farmland

Wind: None

Turns: 35 variable

Author: Abbott

Best played: Two player. Either side if played verses the AI (computer free to place units).

Background: Early December 1942 and the 48th Panzer Corps was holding a line based on the Chir River near where it flows into the Don. It’s task being to hold the left flank of Hoth’s Fourth Panzer Army as it drives to relive the 6th Army at Stalingrad. Before any relief attempt could be launched units of the Russian 1st Armored Corps had forced their way across the Chir River in an attempt to disrupt the planned relief of Stalingrad.

Elements of the Russian 1st Armored Corps had penetrated deep into the German lines and were assembling at State Settlement 79 in preparation for an attack into the rear of the German 336th Infantry division. Before the planned attack could be launched the newly arrived (from Rostov) General Balck and his 11th Panzer Division, nicknamed the "Ghost" division moved to attack the Russian Tank forces at Sowchos (state settlement) 79.

Conclusion: The commander of the 336th infantry divisions request that General Balck launch a frontal attack on Sowchos 79 was refused. Instead General Balck decided to launch his main attack from the heights north and west of the State Farm where tanks could move more easily. On the day of December the 8th assets from the 11th Panzer division attacked into the valley from the heights around State Settlement 79. As the German Panzers were moving into the attack they destroyed a Russian Motorized Infantry column that was moving south along a road to link up with the forces that were holding the Settlement.

General Balck noted that the Russian soldiers fought bravely but after being attacked from two sides with close coordination from Panzers, Panzer Grenadiers and Artillery the Russian troops gave way and few were able to escape. General Balck had also positioned his engineers and anti-aircraft assets to the south of Sowchos 79 to complete the destruction of any enemy units that could be caught fleeing. By the end of the days battle 53 Russian tanks had been destroyed and Sowchos 79 was back in German possession.

Note: This is not a copy of the SL/CoI battle.

Reference: Panzer Battles, Major General F.W. Von Mellenthin, pages 204-214. ISBN 0-345-32158-8

Originally posted by zmoney:

Abbott, I love your battles. Your one of my favorite authors, look forward to playing this one. Keep em coming.

Thank you very much! I enjoy making them and CMC has me excited again.

Would you happen to have some of my other battles? I lost my copies when I changed computers and as you know the Depot went under.

I would like to get copies of my scenarios and put up a page for them and any future battles I make.

Please e-mail if anyone has any copies.

Regards,

Nick

I know I have a couple, if you could list their names I will look them up for you and try to get them back to you.

Thank you.

A Cold Winters Morning

5th. SS Panzer Grenadier Wiking

Breakout at Borisov

Destination Lodz

..and a couple more I can not remember at the moment.

Originally posted by Abbott:

[snips]

The action was fought at the Russian State Farm named Settlement 79, or in Russian, Sowchos 79. This scenario is not a copy of the SL/COI battle of the same name but rather a different take on the battle.

If this is not a copy of the SL/COI scenario, can I put in a plea not to copy their Germanic transliteration of "совхоз"? "Sovkhoz" is the usual Anglophone transliteration, and "state farm" the usual translation.

I hope there are no Klimenti Woroshilow tanks in the scenarion, either. ;)

All the best,

John.

Thank you John and Runyan for your posts. I am still working on the scenario and the feedback is very much appreciated. I hope to have the finished version in a couple of weeks and please feel free to e-mail me with your comments.

If I can dig up my old CMBB scenarios (that were lost when The Depot shut down) from the community I plan to put up a small web page where I can make a few scenarios, mine and a few others available.

Runyan 99 is basically correct. It is open farmland rather than uncultivated steppe, for the most part. Very large fields, 1500m on their short axis and 3-4 km on their long axis. Occasional strips 800m wide. Ruler straight edges to these fields, but put together like a quilt without a regular grid, with odd sections left here and there as a result. There are thin tree lines between these fields as wind breaks, like a line of scattered trees one tile wide in CM terms.

The ground is pretty flat overall, with slopes gradual enough you rise or fall maybe 20 feet across one of those fields in the steeper gradient direction, more like plus or minus 5 feet in the shallower direction. There is inadequate drainage of the fields, leading to gullies (dry most of the time) that run straight across them in dendrite patterns, thin and only 5-10 feet below the level of the rest of the field.

The odd sections left out between fields are typically lower and sometimes along a stream or creek. Occasionally these leftovers are patches of woods, sometimes just low brush.

More serious streams also occur, and are an important tactical feature because of their effect on the relief. The area right along the stream can be 50 feet below the level of the surrounding fields, with a relatively narrow but cupped floodplane bottom, most of it dry. With edges that again have a dendritic gully "seaming" pattern, of dry watercourses that feed the stream when it rains. This makes some "routes" into a given stream's valley, shallower than the steeper sides where there isn't such a seam. The gully sides away from such routes tend to be S shaped, shallow at bottom and top and steeper in the mid section. These make natural hiding places not visible from ground level outside the same valley system.

The other major feature is the rail line leading to Stalingrad, which runs pretty straight in places, with occasional curves (of a few hundred yards to half a mile) back and forth in others. The railway is line by trees on either side, making a break in the LOS over the wide fields right or left of the line. As you face NE toward Stalingrad, along the line of Hoth's relief attempt, the right side is higher ground than the left, by 50 feet or so, with the railway mid-elevation but enough to block views between them. (The left slopes down toward the Don basin, now a resevoir).

There are few built up areas, just farm buildings very widely spaced. Along the rail line there are one or two substantial settlements but nothing city sized. You see an occasional patch in the quilt or a leftover section next to the rail line or a stream valley that is left as a patch of forest, often with straight edges. But the vast majority of the ground is open farmland.

For the winter fighting all the streams were frozen, the trees devoid of leaves, and the fields bare of vegetation. The primary remaining tactical feature would be the seams in the ground created by rain drainage, and the rail line. The ground would be light snow at this point.

With credits to Google Earth...

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zmoney:

I know I have a couple, if you could list their names I will look them up for you and try to get them back to you.

Thank you.

A Cold Winters Morning

5th. SS Panzer Grenadier Wiking

Breakout at Borisov

Destination Lodz

..and a couple more I can not remember at the moment. </font>

Yea Road to Moscow was the one I was tring to describe to you in my email. Good call Melnibone.

By the way what is your web sites address Abbott?

I don't have a website up yet. I am thinking of putting up a quick page with a few scenarios if I can gather mine from the community members.

I also have a few 2X2 k general maps I have been working on for CMC I was going to make available for download.

Last time I looked Road to Moscow was one of the 1000 + CMBB scenarios that I posted at CMMODS, so if you want it you should just download it from there. Look for something called Scenario Depot Salvage listed under my name (as opposed to my Battlefront handle). Best to just download the whole thing, otherwise it would be in the zip file that starts with the letter R.

• 1 month later...