Taking out tanks

Hoping some of you guys can give me some help here... Can you take tanks out with infantry by assaulting? How do you do this? Any tips on it? Any other good anti-armour tactics I should know about?

I'm asking because I've been playing through the preset missions, and I always find that, while I can win infantry wars, I have serious problems with enemy armour. I've had particular problems with Romanian tanks which are just crap at KOing Russian T-4s.

Thanks,

TimG

Yeah, but preferably you'd have some special AT weapons, like bundled explosives. Molotov coctails only work against lightest AFV's. Late war weapons like Panzerfausts are highly effective. Until then, Germans have the best infantry AT weapons, followed by Finns.

If you can't take the tanks out, then the best bet is to try to ignore them while your men occupy woods, buildings etc. Without infantry support tanks are blind and can't do that much (especially the early war non-radio T-34's).

Heh. . . consider yourself very lucky anytime you manage to take out a tank with infantry squads lacking any AT specials.

Actually, you're still pretty lucky if you manage to take out tanks with infantry that has something better to work with than just molotovs and grenades. The one exception I would not is towards the end of the war, when German infantry w/Pz-60s and Pz-100s actually become pretty dangerous to armor since they have a bit of range to work with -- otherwise, no matter what the AT special, you need to get within 40m or less to have any chance.

Do a search on the Tips and Ticks forum, and you'll probably turn up dozens of trick about how to close assault tanks with infantry.

Oh, and while a bit of luck was certainly involved, I'd say your opponent got what he deserved if he's driving a JagdPanther into a position where it can be close assaulted by infantry units from two sides. SP guns, with their limited or non-existen MGs, and slow traverse rates, are especially vulnerable to close assault.

Cheers,

YD

Extremely difficult to do in the open. Best way to do it is to be in ambush position and hiding. Like in woods along the side of the road. Depending on what sort of AT equipment your troops have, you should set a "cover armor" or "cover" order (infantry can't use the cover armor order, but tank hunter teams can IIRC). Set arc for about 25-30 meter for molitovs and bundles and about 50 meters for panzerfausts.

You can do it by assaulting, but you should do that from the side or rear only at close range. If you try in from the front you won't get five meters before your are machine gunned and your squad will most likely break. Stay hidden as long as possible. Use another unit to take a shot at the tank from a distance to get the tank to button up which reduces his visability considerably.

I had the luck of taking out 5 T-34 in a tourney game with Panzer Grenardiers, but the situation was alot of factories. I was mounted in HT so my infantry was able to get into position first and the Russians had to cross an open area to get at final two victory flags. Unable to bring his infantry with him I was able to do considerable damage to his armor forces :D

Of course I was forced to use my infantry in an AT role, because his plane took out 2/3 of my armor in the first couple of turns ;)

Originally posted by Cannon-fodder:

So can you kill a tank without explosives? I've tried but with no real success. It just strikes me that an entire squad of infantry is more than capable of destroying a tank when they're a couple of meters from it.... shoot through the machine gun port etc?

Kids, don't take your tactics from comic books and action movies...

Originally posted by Sergei:

Kids, don't take your tactics from comic books and action movies...

Indeed.

Originally posted by FM Paul Heinrik:

Can hand grenades (not the bundles but single grenades) take a tank out? When the grenade bundle is used can the inf. make a new one with the other grenades in inventory?

Yes, they can. Ironically, the common opinion is that grenades are more effective than molotovs, yet the (usually Soviet) squads are eager to waste time and lives chucking the worthless bottles at tanks before switching to grenades.