Spotters.. how to get them to the right place?

Hi..

One of the main probs I have is with spotters. I am aware that they are miles more effective when they can see what they are targetting... but the problem I have is when they can see the target, the target sees them and shoots at them, often taking them out. I spend turn after turn sneaking up, but they still get seen! Suggestions?

thanks in advance! :(

Use cover when possible. I never issue a fire order whilst the spotter is on open ground. Even scattered trees give you enough cover to deny enemy the pleasure of seeing your spotter directing fire.

If the spotter is too slow for your liking, you might want to spend points on one with a radio and buy it a jeep, Universal Carrier, Halftrack...

-Panzerjaeger-

If you first move infantry through the area you want to use a spotter you have achieved three things; secured the immediate area, checked for incoming fire on movement routes and you should also have a clearer idea of LOS from specific points you intend to use the FO. But there is no substiture for thorough planning and the controlled execution of your plan.

At the beginning of the game, pick out some places that are far away from the enemy, has good cover and a good LOS. These are the types of places you end up placing your MG's sometimes. For me it ends up being either a two-story building or a wooded area. You might even have to advance a little towards it from your startup area.

They key is not to advance too far. You're probably getting your spotters into the action or too close to it. If you are advancing towards an unknown area go through or behind some woods. Before you reach the edge of the woods facing the enemy, sneak and hide. The above post about following your other units is good.

Here's something that you should always remember. It's better when your spotters have LOS to the target, true. But they are no good dead. Better to not see the target and keep them alive.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my spotters just behind my advancing infantry nearby a leader. When contact is made...combat is usually occurring btwn your infantry squads and the enemy's. Your spotter and leader are likely not getting shot at as long as they are just behind their line squads.

From your position just behind your engaged line squads, you should be able to call in an effective area bombardment. Your spotter doesn't have to call fire into the enemy's exact position to be effective.

• 3 weeks later...

yep, keep `em behind your platoon. (concidering cover!) in advance the group`s move ahead in line -at 50-70m- formation(no it`s not the drill court). the Lt.(?) about 25-40m behind the middest. again 25-50m behind comes the support. this case the FO. i started out keeping these close to a higher hq, up at marshall`s hill. but as you encountered this keeps them off sight, just when n` where it could be realy useful. [but mind your men might get hit..oh..you don`t care..k]

• 3 weeks later...

Tall buildings or high ground behind the lines. Somewhere relatively safe. Currently I'm playing a scenario TCP/IP where I've moved a platoon up a small hill which is turning out to be a key position in the battlefield since I can monitor all of my enemy's troop movements. And that means that I brought up my 105 spotter and am bombarding his lines to hell. First I wasted a group of halftracks massing for an attack, then I bombed a reinforcing infantry company far behind his lines that had just arrived on the map and was moving to the front, and where we last left off I was bombing an infantry company of his on the frontline which he moved into a treeline opposite the hill I'm on. Initially my position on the hill was pushed against by an attack wave of infantry & T-70's, but now that I'm bombing his infantry and have moved a Tiger tank up there I don't think there's any more danger of him capturing that hill.

What's my point? Ground. Seen the movie Gettysburg? The high ground is the most important area of any battlefield. I could easily win this battle because of my initiative early on in moving a small force up the hill. From their machine guns and the Tiger can fire on enemy troops all across the map and provide support fire for my other infantry companies when they start advancing during my planned counteroffensive a few turns from now. And all the while 105 spotter continues to bombard the enemy.

Move that spotter up to the high ground. You'd be amazed how much damage he can do.

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to watch out putting spotters in tall buildings if there are only one or two. Many players have been known to level them as soon as the first couple rounds fall or even before for good measure. Of course if there is a whole town to contend with this can be prohibitively expensive.